1965-1998 Clad Quarters Share us your collection and why

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert91791, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Sarah Brantley

Sarah Brantley Minted in the USA

Thanks, dorrs for crashing your thread...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sarah Brantley

Dorrs? What could my autocorauto- have meant?
    I meant "sorry"...

4. Sarah Brantley

Wow, I don't know why it's putting that gibberish up.....:arghh:

5. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

I began looking at coins about 5 years ago when I found a pouch that belonged to my father in law. I had no idea about coins before then, so I began searching to find out about my father in laws coins and soon after I began to buy rolls of coins from the bank and from pawn shops etc... honestly I still have no idea what to look for but.. if I find something that looks nice I keep it. So having said this, these are just a few coins I think are clad coins.

Attached Files:

Clawcoins and Robert91791 like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Do you have a Red Book?

7. Murillo

Yes, my son in law just bought me one. So will look at it this weekend. Thank you

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Alaska Dude

Alaska Dude New Member

I save the 1965-1969 quarters when I find them, I also save any silver quarters that I come across.

9. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Don't pay any attention at all to the pricing. They list some common clad too high and some very scarce clad way too low. A lot of the problem is that very few people collect these and with so little demand it's hard to tell what anything is really worth. For instance almost nobody at all has a nice well made 1969 quarter in AU because it's a very scarce coin. The Redbook implies it has no value except 25C. The '83-P quarter is listed well less than the WHOLESALE PRICE. They list all the old coins at three or four times the wholesale price and moderns at far less.

Part of the reason there is no demand is all of the price guides list the coins at far too low of prices so knowledgeable sellers have difficulty finding buyers.

Kasia, Robert91791 and Kentucky like this.
  10. Murillo

Great to know, also I had no idea about the 1969 quarters being very scarce I have a few of those will have to ask someone to look at them and tell me if they would be considered an AU or not. The 1983-P quarter I have several of those but I won't bother having someone take a look at them, not in very good condition but I plan to keep them anyway. Greatly appreciate your information.

11. Kentucky

329 when I put 1969 Washington quarter on e-bay

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

$3.29?

Can you imagine what it could bring if anyone collected them?

Of course you can get BU's for $1 but most of these look like junk. An attractive BU won't cost much but it's not easy to find.

But a graded MS-64 could probably go as cheap as $5 because of the lack of demand below MS-65 or 66.

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Nice attractive XF's are pretty tough too.

If the coin is well struck with no severe marking and nice even wear it's tough. Most have extensive wear, were poorly struck, and are damaged. Indeed, more than half are already gone through misadventure or being removed for excessive wear.

14. Kentucky

actually 329 offerings

15. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I must be doing something wrong.

I saw 1 Au and a few XF's but most of the XF's were problem coins and poorly made.

16. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

1561613361156-840750624.jpg

Two rolls of 1979P- BU.

Total BU: 640
    Next Goal: 1,000 coins

Happy collecting

17. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

These are plastic die caps to protect the dies; they dip them in,hot plastic, or at least they used to. 1985-S Proof 25c
    25c 1985 S Plastic Die Cap OBV~2.JPG IMG_0218~2.JPG

18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I am working on all the proofs (and SMS) quarters from 1965 to 1998. I like the look (esp. Cam and DCam), they can be picked up for relatively cheap, and they can have numismatic premiums that can hold value even when business strikes are losing 3 percent per year buying power to inflation.

PhotoEditor_20190704_110340989.jpg PhotoEditor_20190704_110541782.jpg

Picked a number of these in different dates for less than a dollar each. With conservation, who knows what it would grade. I do know it was protected in this stapleless 2 by 2 in a flip since 1991!

Robert91791 likes this.
  19. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I have over 640 Uncirculated coins and got them from SMS and rolls. I also have almost 4500 Circulated coins and have stop putting them in rolls. I just put them all in food saver bag and air seal them. Storage starting to become an issue and will have to buy another safe.

20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

That's way cool. I've never seen anything like that.

Are you sure they're real and how would I obtain them?

It does "appear" to be real from the photo and covering them to prevent rust makes sense.

21. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I knew inflation would hit me pretty hard with so many safety deposit boxes full of quarters. Then there's the rent every year and the premiums I paid!

I expected to be able to sell the coins for a lot more than I've been getting. It looks like I'll just about break even. Even now this is probably a young man's job. The chances of loss now are much less because the coins are so cheap and there are a lot fewer of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted