1965-1998 Clad Quarters Share us your collection and why

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert91791, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

No no no, The Georgia quarters Meow got today are the 2018 ATB issues. Got three rolls of these today.
    WIN_20181109_13_38_54_Pro.jpg

Robert91791 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Oops, sorry. The next quarter is Block Island National Refuge

4. MeowtheKitty

Meow is sure the coins you could possibly get at the bank ARE uncirculated. How else can you explain why they are all in a roll together; Or, in the vast majority of a roll? Random odds would not permit that easily. In a pure circulated roll bank roll, you would be lucky to get more than 3 of the same issue in the same roll.

Robert91791 likes this.
  5. Robert91791

The roll packaging is totally different from the mint packaging. So the coins that the banks will have some slight ding, bangs, some scratches and rubs from having the coins moved from one location to another. Also, banks and retail have to re-wrap those coins and use thier own rolling machine.

6. MeowtheKitty

One just has to get lucky, or time it just right; When all the banks get the new coins in uncirculated bank rolls. Meow started collecting coins 6 months ago. But during one trip to the bank, Meow scored 2 rolls new of 2017 New Jersey quarters. And those came out many months before Meow started collecting.

7. Robert91791

I don't think you understood my post on page 33. The flow of coins.

8. MeowtheKitty

So you really think then OBW bank rolls are NOT considered uncirculated??? Well that sounds like a very costly way to accumulate uncirculated coins if they have to be bought form the mint at a premium.

Robert91791 likes this.
  9. MeowtheKitty

Meow gets it. But Meow thinks a lot of folks collect OBW rolls, and are happy with them.

Besides, CRH is so fun. Getting the new coins once in a while can be a treat too.

Robert91791 likes this.
  10. Robert91791

You still didnt understand the flow of coins from the US mint to Federal Reserve Banks then member banks then retail.

11. Robert91791

Yes they are happy with them and that is perfectly alright. As I have said, its a matter of preference.

12. Robert91791

That is the only way. A lot of dealer mark them uncirculated unless they get them directly from the mint but they have to spend $14K worth of coins and must have a business license.

13. Robert91791

The only proof is to have them in Uncirculated version is in Original Government Packaging. If I see a coin in another package, i would have to inspect the coin very well.

14. Robert91791

Actual scenario was the 1st roll of uncirculated that I just purchased was claimed that it came from a Mint set. I checked the coins to pass as all are uncirculated after checking both sides and reed. Since their packaging was not stable they showed some rubs and very minor scratches over the years but I still bought them. Would i buy them again? No.

It is not difficult to asses a coin condition and just knowing when to walk away from it.

15. MeowtheKitty

Ok, so out of all the clad quarters; Which year would you save? Or could you make a top 5 list of the best clad quarters you think are keepers?

Robert91791 likes this.
  16. Robert91791

I don't have any top 5 list since I keep them all unless they are not even "G". Between G to AU I keep them all. I have over 4K of them and hopefully 6K soon. The rest of the new quarters, I only collect mostly New ATB from the U.S Mint. I'm not going to complicate my approach to coin collecting as they shouldnt be. I just sort them by year and mint mark, then roll them and stow them away forever.

17. MeowtheKitty

OK...………..Meow CRH every day, Meow could never be able to afford keeping every quarter. Great for you to have the means to do that. Does any one else here collect clad quarters? Meow wonders what the think are the best keepers. When it comes to 65-98 Washies, Meow keeps only the occasional BU ones, or really nice AU ones. Meow cant remember the exact date as it was a while ago, the best one Meow found was a very strong AU from the 70s.

Robert91791 likes this.
  18. Robert91791

Most of my clad quarters are from change and laundrymat. The latest 26 rolls are from a coin hoarder tjat I bought from.

19. MeowtheKitty

Hey thanks for all friendly conversation about quarters and stuff. But Meow is no longer going to post and read anymore on this forum. Good luck to you.

Robert91791 likes this.
  20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Nice attractive '69 and '71 dates are tough in F and better. The '82-P that is well struck by good dies is a keeper in VF. Other older coins in XF and post-'86 in AU or better are all fairly tough.

Older quarters the strike is important and newer ones nice even wear and lack of marking is more important. You can lower the bar a little or raise it if you prefer.

Or, you can save them all and let your kids sort them out in the future. Who knows what undiscovered treasures and varieties may be out there.

ddddd likes this.
  21. Robert91791

1543086026869-1746575564.jpg 1543086106037-759420218.jpg

1987 P BU

YTD Inventory: 1056
    Next Goal: 2000

Hidden forever.

Merry Christmas everyone

Draft saved Draft deleted