1965-1998 Clad Quarters Share us your collection and why

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert91791, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

In the 40's and 50's I saw them quite frequently. And, naturally, I kept all I found. Not so much anymore. But, as I travelled a lot to Canada in my last job I did bring back some nice ones.

Robert91791 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

15374246115391527790234.jpg

Looks like I just completed 10 rolls. But I have only sorted 6 rolls out of 26. Whew, Silly me.

Happy collecting

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Inspector43

The best I ever got in change was a Twenty Cent piece as a quarter back in the 50's. Our babysitter got a 1908-S Philippine Silver Peso in change as a 50 Cent piece. She gave it to me and, of course, I still have it.

Robert91791 likes this.
  5. Robert91791

$.20 is a rare coin now.

6. Robert91791

Dam, I wasnt even born yet. I think those are the good years.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It was a rare coin then.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Inspector43

Back then a penny was worth a penny to most everyone. A vast majority of the people had lived through the Great Depression and WW II. All coins were in circulation. There were numerous coin clubs where we would visit and trade. Usually, the kids I traded with were more interested in filling holes rather than making money. The Twenty Cent piece - there was an old man in the neighborhood that grew vegetables. He had a push cart and he would go down the alley's and ring a bell. My mother gave me a 50 Cent piece and sent me out to buy something that would cost 25 Cents. I should come back with a quarter. But, the old man gave me a Twenty Cent piece for change. They are very close in size to a quarter. I thought my mother would scold me for getting shorted. But, I took a chance. And, I was promptly told to put it in my coin collection.

Robert91791 likes this.
  9. Robert91791

That is what my friend told me during those times and that there isn't that much money and people had to barter for whatever they have. vegetables, fruits, flour and in some case men are working two jobs to support a family.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Inspector43

I suppose it is all relative. When my wife and I bought our first house, a nice two story on a big corner lot, I was earning $78 a week and the house payment including taxes and insurance was $75 a month. About 25% of earnings similar to today. And, we did a lot of bartering.

Robert91791 likes this.
  11. Robert91791

Good old times. I also heard that a lot of people didn't have camera's at the time and to have film developed was expensive so a lot of people back then didn't have a lot of pictures of their families. Whew, such a big difference now these days.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Most people, including my family, would only take about 12 pictures a year. A roll of film was good for 12. Then you had to have them developed and printed. Costly and time consuming.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Guys, I'm 73 and lived in Appalachia in the 1950's and don't remember any of the stuff you are talking about. One memory I DO have is of buying a 1909 VDB for $0.50 and selling it to someone for $1.00

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. Mary the coin lady

Mary the coin lady New Member

you should put some rolls in a time capsule.

Robert91791 likes this.
  15. Robert91791

Those are expensive.

16. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

People would be amazed how difficult it is to find a regular bank roll of circulating quarters from 1969, 1978, 1987, 1996, 2005, or even from 2014.

People just don't save rolls like this and until Robert91791 they didn't sort them and save them either.

Over the years I've run into fewer than 50 rolls of old clad quarters that had been intentionally or otherwise set aside. On the rare occasion you find clad quarters they will be Unc.

I'm still thinking about your time capsule question but I doubt any protection will last 1000 years. Maybe, if it's stashed in a desert somewhere or a cave that never floods.

Robert91791 likes this.
  17. Robert91791

Im not sure what the kids will do with them. I can only ask them to pass it down to the next generation. I can only hope. For now they are safe until I die.

18. Robert91791

I still have another 15 rolls from a former coin hoarder that I have to go thru. Im kinda swamp of quarters lately. Lol

19. Robert91791

Im 55 now and I can only sure these coins will not be in circulation for the next 20 or more. Hopefully my kids will not sell them.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  20. Mr. Drago

Mr. Drago New Member

Ever find any S mint marks?

Robert91791 likes this.
  21. Robert91791

Nope. "S" Not in circulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted