1965-1998 Clad Quarters Share us your collection and why

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert91791, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I started collecting 2017 and it is getting expensive. Now I'm just having fun collection all Washington Quarters. I have 1965-1998 and still collecting as much as I can on them. They are worth only their face value. I don't plan to sell then as I will pass them all down to the kids. I have 1200 quarters already and continue to collect more. I also separate them by mint marks and no mint marks by year.

These quarters are more than 20 years old since they stop making them in 1998. Once I come up with 40 pcs by mint mark and year, I roll them and put them away. These are going to be saved and will never make it back to circulation. Maybe the next time they get to see sunlight again is may 30 years from now on. So I'm on my way to my next hunt of Washington Quarters.

Tell me more about your collection.

Happy Collecting.

Robert Odulio

*coins, jwitten, mikenoodle and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk...if it winds your clock, go for it!

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I've been watching them since Thanksgiving of 1965 when I got my first one and tried to take it apart. I started collecting them in 1972 when I heard that the mint and FED were going to start rotating their coin stocks.

I've got some great ones but, I fear, a lot are tarnished now because I left most in the mint set packaging. My finest is probably a 1982-P which is very well struck and nearly mark-free. I have most dates in choice or superb Gem. My weakest is the '83-P because I never found a good source for this date. My '91-D is a little weak as well.

These may be about the greatest collectible of all time but this seems to be a well kept secret.

*coins, Kasia, BadThad and 2 others like this.
  5. Robert91791

In the mint packaging, which means that it is in mint condition. Perfect collection. I'm glad to see that you have kept them instead of selling them. Thank you

6. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Except for the late 60s and 70s - that packaging was a disaster.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1972-S is a proof I got in circulation. And the 1982-D is counterfeit. The 1989-P could be a P-01 if it's not a dryer coin. I guess the counterfeit does not qualify as clad. 72Scrop.png COUNTERFEIT.png P-01.png

*coins, Paul M. and Robert91791 like this.
  8. Robert91791

The 1982 D Reed is smooth. I couldn't even tell from a quick look if it's fake or real. Wow..

Cazador and Michael K like this.
  9. Walter1969

Walter1969 New Member

I save the 1965's if they are in really good condition, I have about 50 of them in borderline uncirculated condition.

Robert91791 likes this.
  10. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I built a complete set from mostly mint and proof sets. Just missing the 1995 and 1997 silver proof versions. The 1965 - 1967 I bought as raw uncirculated - since I did not want SMS in the set as such. 1982 and 1983 issues were pulled from a 3rd party mint set.

I also have 1940 - 1964 silver issues, all in uncirculated, along with all the P mint from the 30s and a few mint marked from the 30s (1936S in MS64, 1937D in MS65, 1938S in MS65, and 1939D in MS65)

Robert91791 likes this.
  11. Robert91791

That is amazing collection. Un-circulated are sure a gem and its very expensive. That is why I'm only collecting them. I was lucky that a friend of mine have collect them for me from her shop and she found one 1964 in a Extra Fine condition. I paid her $3.00 for that one coin. I only have to circulated 1941 in good or very good condition and 1964 in very fine condition.

Everyday, I ask every retail cashier for them and have been picking up 4 to 10 washington quarters.

Thank you. That is a fine awesome collection. Whew...

12. Robert91791

AU - Almost Uncirculated...That is a great collection.

Thank you.

13. Robert91791

Just picked up several quarters 1974D, two 1989D, 1992D and 1995D

14. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It looks almost natural!

The counterfeit is cool, too.

Robert91791 likes this.
  15. Robert91791

I bet. It looks almost perfect.

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Oh, come on...look at the head of that eagle, looks like an emaciated chicken!

17. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I was gonna say, it looks like a turkey.

juris klavins likes this.
  18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The proof looks better in hand. (More luster)

19. Robert91791

My current collection rolls are:

1983D
    1986D
    1987D
    1989D
    1990D
    1994D
    1995D
    1996D
    1997D
    1998D

It took me a while to collect, sort by year and by mint.

20. Mike2

Mike2 New Member

Keep your eyes peeled for 1964 clad error quarters.

Heavymetal and Value like this.
  21. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

I have been working on a 32-98 collection for more than a decade and actually just purchased my final coin last night. The clad's were fundamental to my learning and I can't tell you how difficult it was sometimes, to find the right coin. My focus was higher grade examples. There used to be bargains to be had. Some of my finest and most prized coins are some of the ones I was able to cherry pick out of B&M rolls 10 years ago and acquire for $.65 lol. These were Gem + examples and I think those days are long gone. I was viewing PCGS price guide and noticed in this series, other than errors, it's the higher grade clad's that are steadily appreciating, and rightfully so.

Cladking, I plan to make an extensive post on my finished album soon and I know you will appreciate those clad's. For so many of the dates/mm's, I used to buy multiple rolls, mint sets, bundles of mint set cut outs... not to mention all the shows and B&M's. When I do post this, I hope you take pride in it. Your appreciation of the series always gave me that extra little push to keep searching for a better example. I want to thank you and recognize your contributions to this forum.

mikenoodle, green18, mlov43 and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted