1964d nickel RPM?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Moonshine, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

Wondering if this is an RPM. Not the best picture of the mintmark sorry. Thanks.

1964d_1.jpg 1964d_2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

It is not the RPM listed in CPG but it could be an RPM listed by CONECA.

4. Moonshine

I initially took a look at the Coneca site...still trying to decipher everything. Would this be a D\D East or D\D West?

5. Nickels

Nickels Member

6. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

D/D West. The extra mintmark is west.

7. Moonshine

RPM stands for repunched mintmark.

8. SJVM

SJVM Long Time Gone

With all due respect, it looks like simply PMD to me (although the photo is far too small to be sure).

9. Moonshine

I've got a decent camera (Pentax Kx) but that's the best I could get without using the tripod. I'll try to scan it on my scanner.

10. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Try using a loupe and the camera to get a close up... tough, but I can pull it off, so I'm sure you can too.

11. Moonshine

Maybe this is a little better...tried using the loupe with the camera.

IMGP3566.jpg

12. SJVM

SJVM Long Time Gone

Better, but its still a bit blurry. However, from what I can tell, it very well may be. Over the years I've seen quite a few Jeffersons that have either been hit or are SD, and have been confused as being a true RPM. There appears to be the upper loop of a secondary "D" inside the upper inside portion of the primary, beyond the obvious west "anomaly". With this being such a heavily circulated coin and without a crystal clear photo, it is just not possible (at least for me) to give a definitive answer.

13. Merc Crazy

Sure looks like an RPM to me.

14. SJVM

SJVM Long Time Gone

In all likelihood, you are probably right and it is. I can be a bit overly cautious without seeing a coin in person.

15. Moonshine

Thanks for the input. I'll bring it to my local shop to get their opinion. How much premium on this if it is an RPM?

16. Merc Crazy

Nominal. But it's really cool. Only really drastic OMM's garner substantial premiums... I've got a pretty killer '68-D cent with an entirely separate MM west, and it's only worth $10 despite it being in MS64ish RD condition.

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/RPMS/1968Drpm1.html

17. Moonshine

I'll just be happy if it is really an RPM.

Draft saved Draft deleted