1964 Uncirculated set... opened to grade.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kasia, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

My newest experience. A 1964 uncirculated set to open and see how they would grade. From looking at them in the cello package, they did not look high MS to me, and that did not disappoint. Here are pics, starting with them in the package. Larger individual pics follow. number 1.jpg Number 2.jpg Number 3.jpg

Who wants to let me know what you think of these coins for the grade? The biggest disappointment is not in the quality of the coin, but the hazy toning that is going on. Most of that toning is pretty unsightly at this point. One of the hazards of keeping these coins in their original packaging for over 50 years.

Pics aren't the best. The luster for the 1964 D quarter, which is the best of all is really great, so if you don't see that in the pics, sorry, take it from me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

1964 cent a-horz.jpg
    1964 Cent

1964D cent a-horz.jpg
    1964 D Cent

1964 nickel a-horz.jpg
    1964 Nickel

1964 D Nickel a-horz.jpg
    1964 D Nickel

1964 Dime a-horz.jpg
    1964 Dime

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  4. Kasia

1964 D Dime a-horz.jpg
    1964 D Dime

1964 Quarter a-horz.jpg
    1964 Quarter

1964 D Quarter a-horz.jpg
    1964 D Quarter

1964 Half a-horz.jpg
    1964 Half

1964 D Half a-horz.jpg
    1964 D Half

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  5. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Good looking P Kennedy Half

Kasia likes this.
  6. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

Surprised to see that many dings on the Jefferson...

7. Kasia

I will be working on getting better pics for some of these. The Half and the Quarter from Philly are my main two I want to get better pics of. I would love to capture the look in hand for them.

8. Kasia

Yes, there are quite a few, but both nickels, P and D are easily a much later die state as well. They are not the best lookers at all.

9. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Have you thought about an acetone soak?

10. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

My thought as well

11. Kasia

I might do that. I don't usually work those things and would likely have to wait for a great day outside. Maybe I will keep these as they are for now and come springtime get some Acetone and do some experimentation with a couple of these coins.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Dip the D mint dime, quarter, and half, then grade em.

Also there are a lot of varieties for 1964 coins. Check your Cherrypickers guide.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Many members have suggested a rinse with distilled water prior to an acetone soak or rinse, which makes sense. Some also caution on using acetone to soak or rinse copper coins as the color might be affected. Whatever you end up doing I am interested in what you did and the results. I have several coins with the identical stained appearance and have thought of trying something, but was always worried that the outcome might not be good.

14. Kasia

Yeah, I will definitely take pics of them. But I worry more about storage of acetone, so anything I do will likely have to wait until I have all I want to do with it the one or two times. Luckily on this set, I am not concerned with the outcome if a couple of the coins turn out badly. Think it would be worth it to try anyways. I have wanted to try the dip for a while, anyways. And I have a few others that I can try with that have basically no real numismatic value, so I will probably also set those up to work out. So, maybe later this spring or early summer I will get around to doing that.

I haven't totally looked at all the varieties, but so far I've not spotted anything *valuable* (well, aside from normal strikes) on these. I will look again for sure.

Gilbert likes this.
  15. robec

robec Junior Member

Acetone won't take away the haze. Are the photos of the coins taken with the coins out of the cello?

16. Kasia

yes, all photos of individual coins are out of the cello

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...but it might, and it certainly won't hurt. If you were concerned about any reaction of the acetone and the cent, make sure to do it inside and fairly quick since the reaction in the link Doug provided required UV light. Mint sets aren't proof sets, the coins ain't bad...

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I had a few 70uc sets that I bought for cheap. just about all of them had this haze on them. Acetone didn't do the trick. I have been told that MS70 would work but still haven't tried. I'd definitely be checking them for variety's.

Draft saved Draft deleted