1964 sms Kennedy found in a roll

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Newcoinboy2018, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Newcoinboy2018

Newcoinboy2018 Active Member

I believe you. And I don’t believe the roll I looked through was ever pocket change.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Newcoinboy2018

You got it.

4. Newcoinboy2018

What do you mean “ bulk silver lot”?
    It was 2 plastic container rolls of unc 1964. I think they may have been bought at a former auction and sold to the dealer upon the owners death by uninformed relative.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You've inadvertently addressed one major problem with society today: it's not about believing you, but about both evidence as well as the case you make.

I mean no disrespect, but let's actually think about this for a moment. We can even ignore the history of the 64 SMS coins as well as the exceptionally low chance anyone is going to stumble upon one in such a manner, instead simply weighing the evidence you've provided.

Instead of presenting your argument in a logical manner with photo comparisons of your coin with a known example, directly comparing known markers, thus far all you've given us is the same photos over and over in which the viewer must either stand on his head to properly view, or they have to save the photos and properly orient them. If your case really is so strong and if you're truly this confident, why make it so difficult to confirm?

I'd love for you to have something special, but based solely upon the EVIDENCE thus far provided, you've nothing.

There's an irony here...

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Please research the 1964 SMS Coins. They were all found years later in the estate of the former mint director, then sold INDIVIDUALLY through a well known dealer in the 90's. Most (maybe all) were slabbed by ANACS at the time. I don't see how one could have gotten mixed into a roll of UNC halves. An older reference from heritage auctions estimated that 12 were made.

You can wish and speculate all you want, but finding one as you described just doesn't add up

7. Newcoinboy2018

I have researched the SMS 64 coin. And I didn’t find just one. It’s ok, though. Ignorance seems to be a common finger pointed on this site. Could anyone think that anyone could look through two rolls of uncirculated Kennedy’s and possibly find an old collectors SMS coins? Sheesh.

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

So where did the "old collector" get it from?

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Now you have found more than 1. You are quite the lucky guy. You are only fooling yourself here.
    By the way I don't see a wire rim, nor a satin like finish. Heck the rims aren't even square. Also if you look closer, that isn't a teardrop defect hanging from the crosslet of the 4. It is a die polishing line that extends from almost the bust to the rim through the 4.
    A big guy admits when he didn't do enough research, you aren't the first to think you have something that you don't.

10. Newcoinboy2018

Well, I’m not professing to be right, but I obviously do see this for more than it may be. I choose to stay hopeful, nonetheless. Even if I am wrong. Personally attacking me says much of your character. If I am wrong, I’ll readily admit that my evaluation was wrong.

11. BooksB4Coins

Seriously? Instead of simply making a very modest effort to make your case, you're now embracing victimhood? I'm sorry, but you're providing a prime example of why so many avoid trying to help newer collectors.

My earlier suggestion to consider Occam's Razor was made in complete sincerity. Seriously, even if we ignore the lack of evidence, just ask yourself what's more likely: that you magically stumbled upon now multiple examples of an exceedingly rare coin that just happens to not match markers on a known example, or that you're seeing only what you want to? Again, I've no doubt many here would absolutely love to see you find something truly special, but ignoring the evidence in favor of emotion will hurt not only you but has the potential to harm anyone else who may stumble upon this thread in the future.

And... you double down on the victim nonsense. Even after re-reading the entire thread I do not see where anyone has personally attacked you. If anything you're the one doing the "attacking" by making such a baseless and ridiculous accusation. "Character" indeed.

Best of luck, sir, but I'll not hold my breath waiting for an update.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Are you going to send the coin to a grading service?

13. Newcoinboy2018

It’s not difficult to read and know when snide or inflammatory comments are made. I have provided ample (more than one photo showing that the diagnostic marker meets the 1964 sms diagnostic die marker) evidence. I’ll double check that the photos uploaded. It is very common in many social situations when someone looks as though they may prosper, someone else shoots them down. I’ve had a couple of kind posts during my time of learning and posting photos, but many seem quick to want to be right. And if a grading service is the only source that will prove the truth in this matter, then no further discussion of anyone’s disbelief that this could be one of those coins is constructive. I’ve heard all opinions and will let you know what becomes of the coin.

14. Newcoinboy2018

15. Pickin and Grinin

That's the best thing for you to do. Your photos haven't proven anything.
    Good luck! You are only a victim in not providing the correct diagnostics and die markers. If you actually had shown proof of an SMS coin we would be Happy for you! I hope you remember that.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That is not true. You were shown what the marker should look like and your coin does not have it. Sorry you did not get what you wanted to hear.

17. BooksB4Coins

I used your own damn photos to prove the claimed "diagnostic marker" is NOT a match, yet you clearly refuse to believe it, instead wishing to play victim simply because no one wishes to play along with your delusional fantasies. Do you not think it rather suspect that you claim to be so sensitive to supposed "snide or inflammatory remarks", yet somehow cannot see what's right in front of your face?

And yeah, you figured us out. I was really lying when repeatedly stating how many here would love to see you find something special. It's all a conspiracy intended to ruin your score as we're all just a bunch of "jealous" fools. Way to go, Sherlock.

This type of nonsense is so far past the point of utter ridiculousness it's become truly nauseating. You're a fine example of why so many members of this board go out of their way to avoid helping newbies. Instead of genuinely engaging and/or seriously trying to make an intelligent case, you spew this crap which is an insult to each and every person whose tried to help you. Bravo....

Pickin and Grinin and ldhair like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I ent back and looked as close as I could at all the photos the OP has posted. I can't say it's the same coin. There are noticeable differences. Best wishes OP.

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

so, if you believe it is the real thing, send it to PCGS

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Newcoinboy2018 likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

So Cheech gave you a little pat on the butt. Are you gonna send this one in? If it is then in surely garners the attention of the only wild 64' SMS to go on the market. (read that somewhere in the past week or so, has it already been found?)

Draft saved Draft deleted