1964 silver dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by LittleOneTwo, Apr 16, 2005.

1. LittleOneTwo

LittleOneTwo New Member

Today while at work a foreign couple came through my line and paid with various coins one which stood out immeadiatly a silver dime, i quickly exchanged this dime with one i had in my pocket, simply because i rember reading about a valuable silver dime.

When i got home from work it turns out the dime i needed was made one year later in 1965 but my question is how much is the one i have worth.

Its is almost if not perfect condition.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

The silver's worth about 50c or so

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Hi and welcome to the forum.

1964 was the last year of .900 silver, but unless it's in a very high MS grade, it's only worth its bullion value, as mentioned by ccgnum.

"Almost if not perfect" probably would grade somewhere between AU and MS 62, which is not high enough to raise its value.

But what the heck, a 400% profit isn't bad for one afternoon. ;)

5. DRAGONZ

DRAGONZ Junior Member

1965 Silver Dime

Just Curious- I Have A Family Member Who Actually Found A Silver 1965 Dime And Had It Sent Away For Authentication. Does Anyone Know It's Value?

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum Dragonz.
    Assuming it was sent to a reliable authenticator, the question is, has it already come back identified as a fake, or is it still being checked? :confused:

A silver '65 dime would be an off-metal strike, on a planchet left over from the previous year, and if any of those had been discovered, they would be very famous, and very expensive.

7. DRAGONZ

DRAGONZ Junior Member

Good Cond. It Probably Was Found 30 Years Ago-it Was Sent Away Many Years Ago, I Don't Know Where They Paid To It Send It, But It Was Tested As Authentic And Sent Back With With Documentation. I Was Just Asked To Keep An Eye Out On The Internet Just To See The Value.

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I'm sure there are many forum members who would love to see a scan of the authentication, and the coin too for that matter.

9. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Dragon, Maybe it was out of the silver proof set.

10. whoopig

whoopig New Member

No silver proof sets or a proof set period were issued in 1965 only special mint sets. I would like to see the documentation and the coin before I would say it were authentic.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are articles on the net that such dimes do exist, but that only a few have been found. But I know of no authoritative source to confirm this. I do however remember reading some denomination that was struck on one of the old planchets - I just have to find it :(

Draft saved Draft deleted