1964 Proof Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RaceBannon, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is most of it. The 2007 is cameo.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Those 'ol farts like me will remember that these sets were red-hot when issued and were run-up over $20 some 46 years ago!

4. Coinman1981

Coinman1981 Junior Member

Ha ha! What I remember as a young collector who began my journey in numismatics back in 1992 is buying '61 through '64 sets for $5 to $8 each!! I wish I had stocked up back then!

5. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

A lousy investment--do the math.

6. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Not everyone looks at their coin collections as an investment.

I certainly don't!

7. Ahab

Ahab Member

In the last three years or so I must have purchased 80 or more '64 sets looking for the holy grail. Found a couple of nice Kenny's, one cameo dime and not much else to brag about. About half were sealed but could have been moisturized sometime in the past. The unsealed ones still had the glue edge on the inside flap. This waste of time leads me to believe that many of these were probably searched. I don't think I lost money buying them, maybe broke even as I used them for trade or outright sale.

8. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Most people who bought proof sets from the early 60s, 60 - 65, sealed the envelopes themselves after inspecting the coins inside, so as to protect them.

The ones that are sealed are more likely than not had more than the original owner of the set.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I agree 100%!!! It kinda takes a lot of the fun out of my hobby when I constantly have to worry about whether or not it's worth more today than yesterday.

10. Coinman1981

Coinman1981 Junior Member

If I was in coin collecting for the investment, I would have taken up a different hobby! Sure, it's nice to have whatever I own increase in value, but I put the money I want to invest into a savings account or IRA. My numismatic pursuits are purely for recreation. Positive movement of my money in coins is icing on the cake!

Draft saved Draft deleted