1964 Proof Kennedy DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Puddin'Farts, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Well, I tried Variety Vista to no avail. It seems that even with the numerous listings of DDO 64's, there aren't many with pictures for comparison. I believe it to be a DDO-004 because of the tripling on WE TRUST, but with the wealth of knowledge found within this forum, I figured I would ask for opinions. IMG_20190217_130519.jpg IMG_20190216_144137.jpg IMG_20190216_144048.jpg IMG_20190217_130421.jpg IMG_20190217_130452.jpg

steve.e likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The problem I see is that the only letter with obvious tripling is the "W". Apparently, that isn't good enough for the attribution.

Honestly, I hate Kennedys for attributing doubled dies. There are just too many. On one occasion, I submitted several 1966 SMS specimens to NGC for attribution with a tripled "G", and they would not attribute them, saying it was inconclusive.

1530495-1966SMS50cG[1].jpg

Chris

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  5. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Thanks I completely forgot about Wexlers site. I don't think those are matches, but it will certainly come in handy with future questionable coins.

Yours doesn't look inconclusive by any means but I understand your point. I was just reading from another forum that someone was very upset that he spent the money for attribution of a 64 Proof and got a generic DDO labeled slab in return. It's a shame that they offer the service for a fee but still don't attribute them entirely. My understanding is that verification is to label a known variety where the attribution is to assign new numbers on a coin so what's the excuse for not following through?

Beyond the W of mine being obvious, the 4 also looks like it was just stacked on top of itself a few times judging from the looks of the right side of it. I suppose it's not worth the worry without carrying the QDO that carries the premium anyways.

Thanks as always guys help is always appreciated.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Umm, I don't think so. The grading services do not assign new numbers. They use whatever source they normally use to confirm the attribution.

Chris

7. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

I tried to attribute your 64 proof Kennedy from your photos, but after looking at them closely it looks like most of the doubling is MDD (Machine Damage Doubling). Look at the photo with the Y of LIBERTY and notice UST at the bottom…MDD. Your IN photo has too much glare to tell anything. The doubling I see on the W of WE is definably MDD. You could change my mind if you show some clearer photos at different angles, and also the hair under the R of LIBERTY.

Larry Nienaber

Draft saved Draft deleted