1964 penny

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Tracey L Aldrich, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Tracey L Aldrich

Tracey L Aldrich Active Member

Found this beautiful 1964 penny is it worth grading and what would you grade it as just curious 20210413_142016-0.jpg 20210413_142034-0.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

That is a beauty. I can't see any signs of wear, so it might be MS. Wait for an expert opinon.

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

AU58...there is wear on the shoulder, lapel and bowtie, all high spots on the obverse. On the reverse the bottom step is disturbed and the stair posts show wear. These were made by the billion, and saved by the million many are showing up in circulation now that heirs have gotten their hands on them. Look in your Red Book for the exact mintage details...jmho...Spark

5. Tracey L Aldrich

Tracey L Aldrich Active Member

It almost looks like an sms it has a satin finish to it and the rim edges are very sharp i just seen the sms im not familiarwith coins a little new to coin collecting but very interested on learning thanks for your analysis

6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Unless a common cent is in a very high MS grade, it's probably better to buy a slabbed specimen. Doing a quick browse at eBay coins, MS67 slabbed specimens are going for between $40 and $50.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

value?

One cent

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Contrary to what is implied on the "get rich from pocket change" you tube videos, 1964 SMS coins aren't found in circulation. All the 64 SMS coins were found in the estate of a former mint director in the 1980's, sold to a prominent dealer, and then certified shortly thereafter. The YouTube hacks never tell you that part.

NOS, Kevin Mader and Spark1951 like this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They're not worth grading, I'm afraid. While we don't find them everyday, there are just rolls on top of rolls of them like that.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  10. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Others have pointed out the details of the coin. Not a high grade, not worth grading, not worth any thing over face value. It is still a nice circulation find. If you’re collecting put the coin in a 2x2 flip or an album and enjoy it for what it is.

TonkawaBill and Tracey L Aldrich like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It is beginning to tone nicely. I agree with Dynoking, seal it, and enjoy the toning process. Thanks for sharing.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Tracy, and thank you for posting your photos as Full Image. Makes evaluation so much easier. Nice cents but I wouldn't spend the money to have them graded and slabbed. Just my opinion.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Delete

NOS likes this.
  14. Very nice AU coin

Tracey L Aldrich likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted