1964-P DDR? Need help to verify/identify

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SF11Dude, Dec 17, 2017.

1. SF11Dude

SF11Dude Active Member

I checked out Wexler's, CPG, Variety Vista and see similarities in several DDR's. Can someone help me narrow it down? Looks like a die crack in the Memorial left center.
    1964-P DDR TED.jpg 1964-P DDR States.jpg 1964-P DDR America.jpg 1964-P DDR EPU.jpg 1964-P DDR Center Memorial.jpg 1964-P DDR LH Memorial.jpg 1964-P DDR RH Memorial.jpg 1964-P DDR Cent.jpg 1964-P DDR Date.jpg 1964-P DDR Liberty.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Have you considered the possibility that the coin may not show the type of doubling you're hoping for?

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

All that is just caused by the strike.

5. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

As you have already checked out Wexler's site, and others, why not just send it in. Only $4 bucks for John to examine. The dollars do add up but so will your knowledge when told yes or no.
    @SF11Dude

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

No disrespect, but if he needs an expert opinion before he knows that's strike-doubling, he needs to study more.

7. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

No disrespect taken. If he has taken the time to check out the sites stated then he should figure it out. If not, then spend the money and send to one of the sites he has already checked. When they come back enough times not as expected then maybe it will be figured out.
    I am certainly not an expert.

8. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Ooops, so he knows it is a DDR but wants to be told which one. Maybe it is a new discovery and thus new listing.

9. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Wexler calls that type of doubling as “worthless” doubling. His description not mine. This information is so basic and so avalible that this coin shouldn’t even be a discussion at this point. If one types in the browser of their choice, error Lincoln cent, then one shouldn’t ignore what these sites say. Just my opinion.

10. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Well I do not know where to go with that statement.Yes,the information is available.
    John Wexler does a service to the collecting community. Can not imagine him calling a doubling that might be a discovery as worthless. Would be like shooting yourself in the foot. At $4 to $5 per submission he may not be getting rich. The coin world gig is statement enough. Are you published every month?
    Maybe others do not want to pay for a minor variety but what is wrong in finding one and getting it attributed.

SF11Dude likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The problem with this is that I and all that have commented do not see any sign of "valuable" doubling. Some of the doubling shown is flat and shelf like, and the rest looks like die deterioration.
    Md can happen anywhere on the coin in any direction, doubled dies follow a pattern, this coin doesn't.

12. 352sdeer

I don’t think your reading and understanding what is being said here. That type of error is a machine caused doubling error. WEXLER NAMED THESE TYPES OF ERRORS WORTHLESS. There is a heading on his web site of that name. Please take a minute and look at Wexlers site fully then you will know your coin falls into that catagory. We don’t really care if you want to send in your coin in and pee your money away go ahead. If you won’t listen you won’t learn.

13. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

@Pickin and Grinin @352sdeer

Come on guys. I started out in my first post as kinda of sarcastically putting the OP down. Done his research but still asking. Know what I mean? Then I felt bad and figured a would be called a Troll once again.
    Was just getting my hackles up about the "worthless" Wexler comment. I am no expert for sure on these, but John is. If OP thinks it is doubled die then send it to John. No big deal.
    There is no money out of any of our pockets if OP does send it to Wexler. What do we care. John will send it back with his determination.

Be Well all

14. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

I do believe I have taken a look or two at doubleddies.com. :) 36? discoveries listed for me and 4? on the nickle sister site. But of course they are varieties and not errors. And certainly not worth a pot one can piss in. But what the heck. Two mentions in Coin World. :facepalm:

Cheers

15. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Oops, eight nickles not 4. 32 dimes. They are only discovery labels, nothing special.

16. 352sdeer

Don’t argue with me argue with Wexler. When he tells us you are right we’ll listen. I don’t give a rip about anything you sent in or won or got written up that has nothing to do with the OP’s coin and the original post. Bottom line is this, Wexler has clear images and a whole section dedicated to what HE calls “Worthless doubling” IMO it’s clear from the images the OP supplied with his post that his coin is a classic poster child for Mechanical Doubling. This is the first of three types Wexler lists under this heading followed by Die Deterioration Doubling and Abrasion Doubling. So I ain’t making it up.
    EVERYONE that posted just doesn’t want the OP to waste his money and I’m just proving why they are correct. EVERYONE is just trying to help but advising someone to send in a known no value error coin is kinda not. The strangest thing is you want him to send it to the Guy who’s site show pictures that look EXACTLY like the coin you want him to send in. AND the supporting text for the pictures describe it as Worthless Doubling. Un twist your shorts and let’s focus on the OP’s needs not what we want to tell everybody.

17. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

No problem sir. I will have to revisit this thread at sometime. Give me time to go through it all. My CRS is so bad that I think I stated somewhere that I was being sarcastic.
    What is the problem. So many experts here beech about the none stop error questions and I get pooped on for telling him to send it in. The site is there and he can look again. It was said in jest on my part. Of course a stupid comment by me and as sure as crap Chris will say as much. But of course a few singers will be sent my way. But,but,but......
    You or anyone else have a problem with my 40 slabbed, discovery labels? Get to hunting guys.

Cheers

18. 352sdeer

I don’t collect that way so have no interest in that portion of our hobby but sounds like you do so keep up the good work.

19. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Sorry, I guess I needed a snickers.

Draft saved Draft deleted