1964 Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by M kersting, Apr 2, 2020.

1. M kersting

M kersting New Member

New to coin collecting. My father had some 1964 Nickels that I recently came across. I’ve read about SMS?

Here are a few pictures of the 20+ I have, any of them look of value. I can provide better pictures if needed.

Appreciate any help/guidance.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

1964 nickels are worth exactly a nickel. No extra value. He probably thought they were silver, but that was only dimes, quarters, and half dollars from 1964 or earlier.

Welcome to CT!

M kersting likes this.
  4. M kersting

M kersting New Member

Thank you. Any thoughts on what I read about SMS (Special Strike) with the 1964 coins. I've seen some pictures that claim to have the SMS and look like some of mine and have sold for much more then a nickel?

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All worth face value. Welcome to CT.

M kersting likes this.
  6. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

A special mint set often referred to as an SMS, is a set of coins issued by the U.S. Mint from 1965 to 1967. These coins are characterized by a better than average strike, since they were struck on higher-tonnage coin presses than circulation strike coins, but they were not struck as Proofs. SMS coins do not have any mint marks.

M kersting likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Unless any of your nickels have a serious know mint error, they are worth face value. Welcome to CT BTW

M kersting likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't see why these were saved. Always show the reverse. All spenders.

9. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

alurid and M kersting like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted