1964 Nickel on silver quarter planchet?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jiggysmb, May 6, 2020.

1. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Maybe we got one good error in the lot.... I thought this one deserved its own thread. This one was marked as titled, 1964 Nickel on silver quarter planchet. Interested in thoughts and value.

Last pic was labelled double ear, does not look normal, but doesn't look exactly like other examples of double ears I found.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

No... how would a quarter planchet gotten into the much smaller nickel coining chamber?

4. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Not really sure, but it is a silver planchet (weighs the same as a silver quarter) and there is a nickel stamped on it...

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Like @Burton Strauss III said, there is no way that a silver quarter planchet, 24.3mm, can fit into the coining chamber for a nickel, 21.2mm. Are you sure it is silver? You need an XRF Analyzer to confirm it. ~ Chris

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What does it weigh? Did you actually weigh it with an accurate scale?

7. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Diameter is the same as a quarter and it weighs 6.25 grams. How else could a nickel image be struck onto it?

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The planchet for a quarter cannot fit into the coining chamber for nickels!! It is too big!!

9. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

I have seen 4 people make the same statement, but can someone explain how a nickel would get stamped on a silver quarter planchet.... As far as I know there are not blank silver planchets flying around and even less 1964 dies for homeowners to pick up and hammer onto other planchets.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Can you fit a square peg in a round hole...yes, if the square peg is smaller. A quarter planchet would never fit in the nickel press. There is a collar that goes around the coin and a quarter is just too big. Nickel - 0.835 inches Quarter - 0.955 inches... If your con is the diameter of a quarter, it is a fake. Uh, now five people.

11. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Ok I get it. How would someone stamp a nickel onto a blank silver quarter?

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not going to happen.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You notice the nickel image fits the oversized planchet. where would the mint have gotten a pair of oversized nickel dies? Als if this had been struck at the mint the design would have been well struck and not flat and mushy

So how would you create something like this?
    1, put a nickel between two pieces of leather and pound it to make a quarter sized "texas nickel"
    2, put texas nickel between two brass plated and squeeze it in a hydraulic press to create a pair of "soft dies"
    3, put silver blank between the soft dies and squeeze in press.

Lawtoad and paddyman98 like this.
  14. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Thanks that is what I was looking for. Any clue if that last pic is the double ear penny?

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I agree with this answer!

Lawtoad likes this.
  16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

From the looks of this coin I highly doubt that it is on a silver quarter planchet. It looks like a nickle has been altered by using homemade dies.

17. Pondering_Infinity

Pondering_Infinity Active Member

A nickel is 5 grams
    A quarter is 5.6 grams.....

There are pens jewlers use to test if something is silver. I bet it fails.

18. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Your nickel is altered. It was flattened by being struck a second and maybe a 3rd time with fake dies.

Draft saved Draft deleted