1964 Nickel Gem Slab Error

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by AidenAlexander, Apr 25, 2021.

1. AidenAlexander

AidenAlexander Well-Known Member

B956F002-9F2B-4EAE-B958-C953259B5EBC.jpeg Hello Everyone this is my first thread and I thought I should share something funny. My dad bought me a bulk mystery lot of slabbed US coins. This 1964 Nickel caught my eye. It is a very nice Nickel but... the grading company got the date wrong on the label lol.

The Nickel is a 1964 but the slab label says it’s a 1963? Note to Everyone I wouldn’t recommend using this company
    B956F002-9F2B-4EAE-B958-C953259B5EBC.jpeg
    8CCB5683-BA91-4314-B368-E1E7D1CF7758.jpeg
    2C78665A-1637-4CB7-B4A1-6C7A5701C7E2.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

This grading company is not recommended at all. You will see these slabs all the time on eBay for cheap. PCGS, NGC, and ANACS are the slabs you want.

Dima, Scott J, furryfrog02 and 5 others like this.
  4. AidenAlexander

Yeah we are aware we just bought them to look through and store away the nice ones. They were cheap enough and we found some cool stuff.

5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even call it a grading company more like a do it yourself job.Only buy certified coins by PCGS,NGC,ANACS and IGC.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice looking nickel and you are correct, avoid this grading company. The incorrect date on the label is just a label error and has nothing to do with the coin. I would live as is just to have an incorrect label.

7. Collecting Nut

I may be mistaken but I think this is one of the so-called Basement Slabbers.

8. AidenAlexander

We figured. And we usually buy from PCGS, NGC, etc... We just bought them cheap for the fun of looking through them. Although we did find about a dozen silver coins in the lot.

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Thats fine just don't buy expensive coins from those obsolete companies like your example and its a nice proof.

Eric the Red and AidenAlexander like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

As long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters. It’s your collection so enjoy it and glad you found some silver in that buy at a low price. :)

AidenAlexander likes this.
  11. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I had some of these I got real cheap a while ago. Tried to sell them.
    They won't go!

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

FWIW, Aiden, even if the date error was made by any of the top grading services, it would not make it worth anything more. The grading services consider these "mechanical errors" and simply correct them when they are resubmitted.

13. AidenAlexander

Thanks

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  14. AidenAlexander

As I was searching through the mystery lot. I think I found doubling on this 1943 ww2 steel cent. What do you guys think?
    C4E8A344-C9E0-45DD-BF7A-5DD1418B2359.jpeg
    9D5DFD14-0747-48D4-A3CC-2ED2A4CFCC73.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    CoinJockey73 likes this.
  15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

ALL grading companies make their share of mistakes. They do not inspect the coins after they are entombed and send them out with wrong coins, wrong information and wrong grades. It's not all of them, but enough to make them all suspect.

Even wrong denominations are not rare enough to make their errors valuable.

Remember, buy the coin, not somebody else's mistake.

16. cpm9ball

If you're referring to the date.......no!

17. AidenAlexander

Your probably right cpm9ball.
    But here is a better picture of the date.
    AA887925-9FA6-4E3F-92C4-11F8DF25546D.jpeg

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @AidenAlexander. I love seeing young collectors that have interest in this hobby and can do it with their father. I too have acquired a couple of those INB slabbed coins. I wonder how a good TPG would assess them?
    Have fun and keep us in the loop as to you and your dad's collecting. Good luck. Is your dad a member here also?

19. AidenAlexander

Thanks!
    And yes Eric the Red

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'll be keeping up on the both of you, in a good way. LOL

21. cpm9ball

It's still a no!:(

Eric the Red likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted