1964 nickel damage or Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Todd bordon, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Todd bordon

Todd bordon Member

Hi everyone. I received this nickel in change today. Its looks damaged but when looking at both sides.. Well your the experts you'll know what im seeing. Thanks for the advice

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert and all I see is a damaged coin. Could you please post a clear closeup of the circled area. Thank you.
    upload_2021-4-2_1-39-48.png
    Edit. Your photos are too small to see anything other than the damage.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks like Black Goop or something .
    upload_2021-4-2_1-39-48 (1).png

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's all DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged :yack:

Not a Mint Error.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Someone playing with diagonal cutters. The nickel won!!

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Darn shame, PMD, done by some idiot.

9. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey Todd bordon welcome to CT. its PMD all the way. good luck to ya man

10. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

In an attempt to educate;

@Todd bordon - If you look at the cuts, you can see how the metal has moved after the coin was struck. It's most noticeable on the reverse, as the lines of Monticello are distorted where the 'cuts' are.

Typically, the first thing to look for in an error of the type that you though this was, is to see if there is any raised metal around the anomaly. If there is, move on to the next coin, 'cuz raised metal is 99.9999999% PMD (post-mint damage).

No raised metal? Check for distortion of the finer details of the coin. Distortion is there? Move on.

Now try and think of how/why/what caused the anomaly of the coin you're looking at. Try and think of something in the world outside of the mint that could have caused it. If there is anything at all you can think of that caused the irregularity, then you're most likely correct, and it didn't happen at the mint, therefore not an error. In the case of this coin, someone was bored and had a nickel and some snips, and entertained themselves.

There are literally billions of coins with all sorts of anomalies. And with the utmost certainty, I will say that all but a very few, and I mean like 0.0000001% are nothing more then PMD.

Knowing these tidbits of info, along with more that you pick up along the way, will make the hunt that much faster, and save yourself the adrenaline rush over nothing. Don't stop searching, but be aware of the clues you're looking for...

and Welcome to CoinTalk!

Draft saved Draft deleted