1964 nickel, business strike or proof?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Artillery87, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Artillery87

Artillery87 Active Member

I can't really tell if this is a business strike or a proof. I got it from an antique store and it is still in the mint plastic and shows a strong strike with detailed devices but doesn't seem as reflective and cameo like other proof nickels I have from this era. Is it just a prooflike business strike or just not a very reflective proof? It has full steps and has toned a golden color. I would have liked to take photos out of the plastic but dont want to remove it. Im thinking a business strike but would like some other opinions. Thanks!

Attached Files:

PamR, Morgandude11 and mrweaseluv like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Exceptional strike. I'm thinkin' proof coin stored in an reactive environment. The pliofilm offers little protection from toning.........especially for a coin that old.

Stellar photogs dear fellow. :)

4. robec

robec Junior Member

Sometimes you can’t really tell unless the coin is taken out of the cello. If it is a proof the mirrors will give it away. Even if hazy it will be very easy to tell the difference. I wouldnt leave it it the cello, unless you plan on returning it.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Seems to be a bit of a chamfer to the edge, which would make it a circulation strike.

20221208_130503.jpg pasted image 0.png

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Looking at the rims, I would say proof. The coin and film are somewhat hazy so it is hard to tell from the surfaces. I will say proof.

7. Kentucky

Looking at the steps makes me think business strike.

8. Artillery87

So far two are leaning proof and two are leaning business strike. Now you see my dilemma lol

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Proof,my original cello 1964's are toning in a similar fashion.Steps look fine to me and I believe what your seeing Kentucky is a light trick since it is in the cello and can cause strange reflection.The overall appearance looks reflective and mirror like to me.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Artillery87

I am thinking of removing it from the cello to see what it looks like without the plastic but hate to do it

PamR likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It surely won't hurt anything to remove it, in fact as Robec has said, you would be better off getting it out of the plyo film.

If that is a business strike you have one of the best 5/6 step nickels ever struck in 64.
    I think it is a Proof.

green18 likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Didn't notice the edge photo before...proof!

dltsrq likes this.
  13. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Proof. If it were from a mint set, one edge of the plastic would be blue. I also agree with @Kentucky and @Morgandude11 that the coin's evenly square edge is a giveaway.

s-l500.png s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    mikenoodle and Joshua Lemons like this.
  14. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  15. robec

robec Junior Member

Beware though. Just like there are fake mint envelopes on eBay and other sites, there are also coins in cello falsely labeled as mint proof or uncirculated.

Draft saved Draft deleted