1964 lincoln

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sarah2624, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Sarah2624

Sarah2624 Member

How come so many of the 64's have lettering so close to the rim? I have about 20 of them that are like this. Also I'm still trying to train my eyes to see true doubled dies. Any better? IMG_20180212_232128.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Worn Dies.. Circulation wear.

Nothing to do with a Doubled Die

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Too many of them made and the Mint kept using the worn dies to save money.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Seen many that look a whole lot worse than this one. Ones where the lettering actually seems to meld with the rim. Yep, worn dies.

7. Sarah2624

Sarah2624 Member

Is there doubling on the date? I don't have the best magnifying tool so still struggling to differentiate the two. I have done my research though. I suppose if I ever actually find one I will know.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you'd like to train your eyes, consider searching late memorial cents. There's who-knows how many very minor "doubled dies" that show as nothing more than a little blip usually to the left or right of Lincoln's statue. Examples can be found on Wexler's (I'll try to find an example).

I think @tommyc03 may have a few, so perhaps he can add insight if you're interested.

As examples, scroll down to numbers 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, and 13. You'll also see examples of other often painfully common supposed "doubling" as well. Even if digging through only a handful of solid rolls, I'd be rather surprised if you didn't find any.

http://doubleddie.com/715534.html

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It's as Books has suggested. From 1998-2006 there are hundreds of minor doubled dies in the statue bay, either on the left or right inside of the columns. They can, at times be hard to see without tilting a B.U. coin from side to side. There are also those with doubling in the leg area, these are even more difficult. They are fun but worth very little. If they are circulated then they need to be tossed unless you really wish to keep them as examples to train your eyes for better ones. The link he posted is your best bet to become familiar with these. The 1997 is very elusive with doubling in the last few bays which is one that is very easy to see and worth some money. These appear in the middle of the bay, not hugging the inside.

Sarah2624 likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Did you know the blue whale, the largest mammal in the world, has a throat only half the size of a dinner plate? Do you know why? Because that's the way it is, and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

Sarah2624 likes this.
  11. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Coins are widgets.

They don't all look exactly the same,
    especially over the years and decades.

Different master dies; worn and/or overused
    dies; striking pressure; and more, all are
    causes for coins that minutely look 'different'.

They are struck to circulate as coinage, not as
    perfect specimens for us to find minor anomalies
    on them when they are not perfect.

To Quote the post above " because that's the way
    it is" (or 'that's the way they are')

Sarah2624 and tommyc03 like this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sure there is a reason, so they can't swallow a mattress someone threw in the ocean. ;);)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Wasn't it Walter Cronkite that said "That's the way it is...;);)"

14. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Yes, he ended his news broadcasts by saying

....."And that's the way it is"

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I really laughed at this. Thanks Tommy!!

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted