1964 Lincoln cent-proof?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by nhysandra, Feb 24, 2018.

1. nhysandra

nhysandra New Member

A5C48D82-D8D9-4C54-A1C7-8CB337567D4D.jpeg 8D384704-BB16-4516-9654-1FF8618853F7.jpeg . I am new to this coin collecting and it’s very confusing at times! I found this 1964 penny that just stuck out. (The one on the right of course). I thought it may be a proof coin, but it has the same finish as the 1964D. It has very sharp distinct features, a more defined edge, it has a sheen to it but not a mirror shine, I just would like some input. I know there were some experimental 1964 coins or some special types found.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No. Not Proof. Not experimental niether.
    Just a regular Philadelphia Mint Cent.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. nhysandra

nhysandra New Member

Sorry I had to finish my post it posted with just the pictures
    . It figures lol but please tell me what do they mean talking about squared edges? That was one of the descriptive terms used about the 64 experimental coins I researched.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Square edges have to do with the third side, the rim or edge. Some business strikes have strong edges and would be seen on early strikes, but, they aren't as square as a proof will be.
    A proofs edge will feel sharp to the touch even after a bit of circulation. Do you have any proof sets to reference?

7. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Some coins will be more well-struck than others of the same year and mintage. Has to do with the die state when the coin is struck.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

1964-proof-lincoln-memorial-cent-888888946_26120181717424771071.JPG

[not mine]

Bustermove likes this.
  9. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

A good resource for seeing what to look for is pcgs coinfacts. Shows each date and mint, and major varieties. Also can zoom in on each coin.

10. nhysandra

nhysandra New Member

Thank you. It’s just hard when the coin has been in circulation to determine a lot of these things I know it will get better with time but...wow all the variants!

11. christafish

christafish Member

Hi everyone, First of many post I am new as well I also found what looks like a deep dish penny. is this just a regular 1964 penny? IMG_2409.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted