1964 Kennedy: Toning or environmental damage?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by somecoinguy, Sep 18, 2021.

?

Toning or Environmental Damage?

1. Toning (Don't grade it)

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Toning (Get it graded)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Environmental Damage

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. somecoinguy

somecoinguy Member

Hey all,

I have had this 1964 half dollar for a few years, and recently rediscovered it while going through my collection. Would you say this is toning or some kind of environmental damage to the coin? I am also debating if I want to send it in to get graded or not. Environmental damage came up when discussing it on my instagram, so I wanted to get your opinions on it as well!

1964 Half Obverse.png 1964 Half Reverse.png

EDIT: I realized that the photo I posted didn't quite capture the splotchiness of the browns on the obverse, so also added this one:
    241967718_1729515637259541_5980794851253329118_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    GH#75 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis Helpful? Click *Best Answer*! Supporter

There are so many 1964s out there that a small few would benefit from submission.
    Its the surface rough? Looks like it may be.

somecoinguy and Inspector43 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Regardless of whether it is damage or not, I think you would be wasting your money submitting it for grading. That sort of toning (if it truly is toning) is not very appealing.

somecoinguy and Evan Saltis like this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Why would you want to spend the money to have it slabbed? Environmental damage and toning are the same. The coin's metal is reacting to its surroundings, and that is one ugly coin. Save it for the silver.

somecoinguy likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The green looks like environmental damage from prolonged contact with something.

Either way, a 64 Kennedy needs to be in pretty high grade to make it worth submitting.

somecoinguy likes this.
  7. somecoinguy

somecoinguy Member

Hmm, it does look a little rough, but it doesn't seem like it is actually rough on the surface

Yeah, it is a pretty ugly coin :yuck:! You and others do make a good point about it not really being worth the money to submit it! I've just been going through my coins seeing if anything is worth getting graded and this one sort of caught my eye, even if it was due to it being ugly :bag:

Evan Saltis likes this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Technically toning (tarnish) IS environmental damage.

somecoinguy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted