1964 Kennedy - Proof or SMS? Trying to learn here....Chime in...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Well I want to start this thread by first saying that I have been following my GoogleFoo links for a couple of days trying to edumicate myself on these elusive critters. Why you ask? Well I came across something on da Bay and I had to get it. I wanted to see it in hand....

Now there is a catch to this. The person I bought this off of is a VERY knowledgeable and respected collector and would not have parted with it if real. I am fairly sure of this but I just had to see it and the cost was not stupid high.

Here is the wording of the add for the most part:

"This coin is hard to explain. It's fresh from a proof set, but has more of a satin finish than a typical 1964 proof, which is typically very glossy with tremendous reflection. It really has more of an appearance of an SMS coin. "

So looking at the picture of course I could not tell squat. So I bought it. Here are the pictures as advertised..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I excitedly get it on Saturday and inspect it. First thing I notice is it doesn't look right. I have quite a few 64 Proofs and none really look this 'poor' so to speak. The advertisement was right, it almost looks like a 65 with a poor mirror. I have 65's with BETTER mirrors....it is NOT even close to cameo. Odd indeed.

So I stare and stare, compare and compare, and read all about these. I can find a few things that talk about die markers....

Here is a thread here about this coin..

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1964-special-mint-set-sms.91162/page-3

I saved this picture from somewhere...

[​IMG]

So I look at mine and think I have a match. I am getting excited now.....here is what I saw..

[​IMG]

Yet I also read in another location that all of these were TYPE 1 Reverses. Yet this makes no sense as those were used on the first Accented Hairs, and of course the Accented Hair's little brother for a while.....these SMS coins were supposed to be made in the first part of 1965 as trial runs for the SMS sets since there would be no proofs. Hmm. I have a TYPE II reverse..

I really just do not know but I will post some rather zoom-able pictures if you want to take a look and chime in with your thoughts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The odds are slim to none I know but still, how would one know unless it was in original mint packaging but that did not exist as they were never for sale.

50 sets? 200 Sets? Who knows......still the journey is fun and as always, I am learning..worst case is I paid extra for a regular 64 proof Kennedy half. Now that I have it in hand, it was monies well spent no matter the outcome as it looks different than any of my others.

What say you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

I say yours is a proof, the SMS is quite dull and has tons of die polish in the fields. It looks more like a circulation strike.

4. Ethan

Look at the B.....there are die polish lines all over this one. I have SMS 65-67 that are far better than this coin....still I understand what you are saying. I will have to take closer pictures I guess. If this is a proof, its a crappy one as almost NO mirror....

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Yours is a proof coin as its missing the SMS Die Marker which is a little tab on the 4 in the date.

1964 Kennedy SMS Die Marker.jpg

Also, as mentioned earlier , notice all the die polishing marks.

Essentially, the coin a crisp well defined devices on a field that's littered with die polish.

Look closely at the T and R and you'll see Doubled Die markers.

Lastly, since the seller stated it came out of a proof set, you should trust what was said. I do not believe that ANY of these coins actually appeared in proof sets as all were a part of the estate of the late Eva Adams. At least, that's the first place they appear as an online auction.

GSDykes likes this.
  6. Ethan

I forgot about the 4, this one does NOT have that at all. Oh well it was a nice adventure and I learned some stuff for sure. Thanks 19lyds.

7. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, no one can say it was a waste of time. Knowledge is a treasure in itself.

Chris

GSDykes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted