1964 Kennedy Half

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by James Boat, Mar 5, 2021.

1. James Boat

James Boat Member

Hi - can you please estimate grade on the following. Red Book gives a value of $10 for an MS-60 up to $25 on MS-65. Any thoughts on how close / far away Red Book is on its value assessment? Thank you in advance,

James

16149927884841437789572699505492.jpg 16149928109142613992871240483005.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

You might get around $15 max but most dealers and shops would only pay melt for it.

4. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hi, the Redbook isn't really a credible source when it comes to pricing, in fact I have only heard of it being used for insurance purposes. If I were to take my pocket change and sell it at Redbook prices I could double/triple my money.

Your Kennedy half would get around $12 since spot is high right now.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It’s a beautiful coin but they grade these on the fussy side from what I’ve seen. A gem is MS65 and up. Just playing it safe I can see a MS64 for the few tiny marks but in the focus areas (face/shield/tail). And Red Book is as good as anyone and better than most on ballpark values.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Randy Abercrombie and JeffC like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very common and only worth melt as it won't grade high enough.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

$9.13 melt, and don't expect that when selling.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'd call it MS63-ish and no better, due to the reeding marks on the portrait, but as others have mentioned, that's largely a moot point since it is unlikely to trade any higher than its current melt value in the real-world marketplace, being such a common coin.

That being said, it's still a pretty piece of silver, so enjoy it.

Kentucky and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

When you think of the forces at play when this was minted.... We just lost a beloved president... Last year for silver coinage.... A whole lot of these were set back. So now we find that most of the 64 JFK halves on the market are high quality examples. So even choice 64’s won’t bring much more than melt. There are just plenty of them to be had.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I have to comment that under the right storage conditions this lustrous one has possibilities. Just seen it too many times. This one has been trying to color for 57 years. Put it in a flip in a cloth mint bag and in a year he’s going to have colorful perimeter toning set against a spotless, highly lustrous field. This is a perimeter toner on the make if there ever was one. Just my opinion. I’d be sparing this one the cook-pot.

Draft saved Draft deleted