1964 Kennedy half dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Anduin, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Anduin

Anduin New Member

I bought this here in Brazil for $25. It is my best coin, in terms of condition, so far. The photos doesnt make it justice (post another later). I would say it is a 66+. What do you think ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451337423.654058.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451337499.726011.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Anduin

Anduin New Member

Another angle, still the bad cell phone photos
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451337968.985083.jpg

Attached Files:

4. pr69

pr69 Member

Wow, that looks like a great coin! Yes, I would say 66+ for sure.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Is it a PR? If those are photos and not scans I think I can say it's not reflecting right for an MS coin at that high gem grade.

6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

From what I can tell. It looks like a proof to me. Were you asking if it was MS-66+?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We could get a better idea of the overall condition if you would take it out of the 2x2 before taking the photos.

Chris

8. Anduin

Anduin New Member

Ok, so now photos with a better camera and without the holder.
    ms67 maybe ? [emoji28]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's a proof with accented hair. PR67.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Are you sure about this? The markers, to the best of my recollections, do not appear to be present.

Blissskr and medjoy like this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, I'm sure. The second set shows it.

12. Anduin

Anduin New Member

Thank you eddiespin and all. I am still confused about its value. At Heritage I can see all sorts of price ranging from $190 to $2800 for this coin PR67. What would be a fair price in the US, after PCGS grading, in your opinion ?

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Gee, you'd have to look at the current auction sales. I'd suggest if you want to sell it, though, first get it graded.

14. pr69

pr69 Member

I have to respectfully disagree with the notion of this coin being an accented hair variety. The marker on the obverse (missing serif on the I) is not present, nor are the markers on the reverse (missing serif on the G, and broken rays). Sorry. Though this looks like a beautiful proof '64.

19Lyds likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

16. pr69

pr69 Member

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Hmmm, now I think you guys are right. That second set brought out the hair so well it didn't even look like the same coin. This one looks struck-up nicely, but yeah, I think I have to stand corrected. That's the second time today. Don't tell anyone, lol.

18. pr69

pr69 Member

I have never been able to reliably look at the actual hair; it all looks the same to me, accented or not. But those non-hair markers are easier to identify; good opportunity to cherry-pick, too. And keep an eye out for the transitional variety which has a "normal" (serif on the I) obverse and an "accented hair" (no serif on the G, and broken rays) reverse.

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I thought the same looking only at the hair, and didn't question it until checking the markers, but am trusting my eyes less and less these days and took your word for it.

Your secret is safe with me... ;)

eddiespin likes this.
  20. Anduin

Anduin New Member

Very god explanation in that website. As I have the coin and a good lens, i can say: It is the normal hair. The solid rays and all serifs on letter I are undoubtfully there. Nonetheless a extremely beautiful coin. Really glad to have it. And Thank you guys you just gave me the knowledge and desire to start another numismatic hunt.

21. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

It all looks the same to me as well! Was the accented hair only minted in proof?

Draft saved Draft deleted