1964 Kennedy Half Dollar - is this a mint variety?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Conguero, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Conguero

Conguero New Member

I’m new here so please go easy and forgive my ignorance but, although I’m not a coin collector I’ve had a lot of time on my hands recently due to the pandemic… Started to look through this box of coins inherited a few years ago. One of them is this Kennedy 1964 half dollar because I did some reading about this on Google and it has some markers I believe (visible file marks on ear and neck, what looks like mild doubling at top of 6C7791C5-A27E-43DB-BB15-46AF45694249.jpeg 85DC1296-1B38-4436-866D-7F88DAA72D9F.jpeg TY in liberty) but I’m not sure if it would qualify for a mint variety and therefore rare? I appreciate your knowledge for comparison/contrasts with other coins you may have?

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. You will need to post a clear closeup of the area in question (T & Y of LIBERTY) so we can make a better determination of what you have.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk.
    The file marks on the neck and ear are common for the early years of this coin as they were made in haste.
    Here are some good comparative photos to check. Maybe # 24, 28 &29 to start with. Let us know what you find.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/12 Kennedy Halves/DDOs 1964.htm

5. Conguero

Conguero New Member

5A740B4F-B571-4EC0-8F73-27D1F3980504.jpeg
    this is the best I can do, maybe it’s just a reflection or an optical illusion?

6. psilvergirl

psilvergirl New Member

Turn your coin so they can't see the light on top of your T and they will get a much better look like you have.... forget what other people say about optical illusion I don't have a depth factor.....
    you have to be able to measure how big something is compared to another coin..... look at it closer away from a something shinning on it. That's what my collector taught me.. He was a good man. He passed away a few months ago. He was highly Respected in Northwest IN. if you still see it then take a better pic and re-post.

7. psilvergirl

psilvergirl New Member

I am also new to this site. I only trusted him.

8. psilvergirl

psilvergirl New Member

Look him up his name was John Hudson from Munster IN

Draft saved Draft deleted