1964 Kennedy Error ????

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Marine1, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

Going thru my old rolls and found this, Die error or ??
    M1 DSCN0759 w dimple.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Raised or incused?

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

How about a picture of the Reverse side also?
    And a picture of the full Obverse. Looks to be in bad shape.
    Most likely a bubble caused by extreme heat.

5. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

It was raised and Ill shoot another jpg. Sat. but no other signs of heat at all, weight good, size and width good, no warping.

6. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Didn't realize so many varieties of the 64 Kennedy. I'll have to research and review my stuff once again. Looks like an error.

7. paddyman98

These raised bumps are usually caused by extreme heat. Sometimes there are no signs of fire or heat. There is no know error that would be caused at the Mint like this.
    Looks like one but in my opinion it is not one.

Insider likes this.
  8. paddyman98

@Marine1 @TommyP
    But.. now that I thought of it carefully, a 1964 Kennedy is 90% Silver. It does not have a clad layer. So maybe it is not my original take on a bubble caused by heat.
    So I have changed my opinion on it.. sorry guys

I do want to see the pictures I requested

Amos 811 likes this.
  9. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I have barber quarter with something like this on the obverse. On mine it looks incused, but I can't see a dip in the surface from being struck by a foreign object. It looks smooth. I haven't been able to get very good pictures yet.

10. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

Obverse and reverse jpgs. attached, I am going to shoot a few more from various angles but I cant remember where the H*** I stored my Macro lens. This molehill is starting to bug me!!
    M1 DSCN0759dimp2.jpg DSCN0760rev dimp 2.jpg

11. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Kennedy just grew a mole, what's the big deal? Beautiful coin btw

12. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

I purchased 2 Bags in 1965 in Singapore and had them shipped to my Dad in Cleveland, Ohio.
    These were stored in a cellar storage locker and not touched until this week, the point being unless some brit or chinese silversmith somehow modified this coin, then the only other conclusion anyone could draw is it is a Mint error, Planchet, Die, Etc.
    I have a buddy at NGC in Colorado and am going to send it to him BUT any ideas on how much insurance to purchase ??
    M1
    DSCN0761.JPG DSCN0761a.jpg DSCN0761aa.jpg

13. green18

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. green18

In the first full sized photo (when you blow it up) there looks to be some weird stuff going on in the fields to the right of Kennedys' bust. I could be clear off base, but the coin appears to be 'cast'. I'm no expert and am still larnin'........:wacky:

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Kinda interesting, and unfortunately in need of your macro lens to help figure it out. :)

In the first pic, there appears to be roughness at the bottom of the feature - washed out in the subsequent pics - which may lend a hint. But either way, we're only speculating without much greater magnification.

16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The smoothness of the raised lump is a "key." I don't recall if the "Rockwell" hardness test was still done in '64. This could be a possibility. Otherwise occluded gas.

17. green18

You could hardly get these coins ,individually, from the banks in the states (at that time). How'd they get bags in Singapore?

18. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Could be a " Die Dent " or cheap Chinese Fake .. Lol ...

19. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I think performing a Rockwell hardness test dead center on a working die would be a good way to get fired.
    Also, from looking into the 1921 Morgan 17/16 berry reverses- one of the theories is the 17th berry is a remnant from a hardness test (I'm more inclined to believe that it was a metal defect in the die).
    At any rate, I think it's safe to say the test the mint performed to check hardness of a die was not the same as (less obtrusive than) the common Rockwell hardness test. Other than I think it is impossible, it is what it resembles.

20. Marine1

Marine1 Active Member

Uncle Sam sent 2 or 3 planeloads to the british embassy for what reason I dont know,except this was just prior to VN war.
    My C.O. told me that some brit sold off or traded a coin dealer 30-35K of these for booze to sell on the sly, In Malay at that time "everything gos" or went depending on your point of view and poverty was rampant on the entire peninsula.
    The bags I bought were labeled Nageri Singapora which was a Malay bank and being a good Marine I put all the coins in 50 cal. cannisters to protect them for shipment to the States and rebagged them when I was discharged in "78".
    All I know for sure is no one except myself had custody of the coins except myself and my Dad until 2 weeks ago.
    I have seen and examined thousands of Kennedys and know a fake when I see it although experience has its limits and so do I.
    Thanks for all your input, when I get the 411 Ill post it.
    M1

green18 likes this.
  21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

AFAIK, that's the only place they did it. I never saw the test performed, just the equipment. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted