1964 Kennedy error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NewB, Jan 26, 2011.

1. NewB

NewB New Member

Kennedy Face.JPG Kennedy Reverse.JPG
    I can't find any documented errors for this coin or any even close. I did although see a Liberty dollar on ebay with the same marking. The owner said the grading agencys agreed the marks were in the die, but due to a lack of documentation by the mint the coin could not be certified. Has anyone ever seen such an error?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Welcome to CT! You oughta join our school: Newbie Institute.
    Hobo can answer this probably.

4. I've heard of people referring to it as the "Christ on the cross" error. Let me try and see what I can find on it

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Post mint damage. Cutting into the metal obliquely with a sharp object can create a raised ridge on metal. Gental pressure on the ridge can then force the open edge back down hiding the evidence of the cut. Careful examination with magnification will allow you to see the cut. Usually the best place to look is in the area where the two ridges cross.

What grading agency was he talking to? Whoever it was stay away from them, at least with errors. They are obviously not qualified.

6. NewB

NewB New Member

What grading agency was he talking to? Whoever it was stay away from them, at least with errors. They are obviously not qualified.[/QUOTE]

"This coin has been inspected by ANACS, NGC and PCGS. All were reluctant to certify this coin and guarantee this coin as a new mint error with their name on it. Yet none of the graders would say this coin was not a mint error coin. This coin was also examined by various labs and other graders under a 300 power microscope camera."
    You may have been misled in my original post, The grading agencys I referred to in my last post was in regards to the 1886 "O" Dollar I referenced from Ebay. The quote above was also from the ebay listing. The marking on that dollar is the same mark you see on this Kennedy. If what you say is true, these people that make these marks are very skillful and have far too much time on their hands. To make these impressions undetectable is amazing, it truly looks to have been scribed into the die before the placet was struck. Thanks for your reply.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

NewB

That quote (I presume) is from eBay.

Note: Take anything quoted there with a grain of salt.

PMD.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah! A grain of salt about this big.

Attached Files:

9. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

It is either a counter stamp, or post mint scribed (it has PMS)

10. NewB

NewB New Member

It's a chunk of melt now......:)

Draft saved Draft deleted