1964 dimes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lester Maddox, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Lester Maddox

Lester Maddox Member

Why is it so hard to find 1964 dimes? I have been trying to complete a coin folder for the birth year of my wife (I hope she is not reading this). I cannot find any 1964 dimes. as far as mint production (2,286,877,180) it was actually one of the larger number of coins produced. I have literally 100 1964 nickels--I have stopped collecting them since I have so many. Am I just extremely unlucky? Just curious (good thing I am not a cat).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

If you are talking about finding them in circulation then its because 1964 dimes (as well as quarters and halves) are 90% silver, thus their bullion value is over $1 even with todays incredibly low silver prices. It is indeed rare to find them in circulation...although it does happen. You might try checking the coinstars near you...I've found a few 1964 dimes there. (Coinstar rejects silver coins)

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Are you saying hard to find in change or roll searching?
    Millions were melted down in the early 80's and 5 years ago when silver scrap was much higher than today.
    They are plentiful in LCS scrap buckets for less than $2.00.

bhh likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Did you search these?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1964+d+roosevelt+dime

Chris

6. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

1964 is my birth year too. How old is she? I'm 153. I've not found a dime girl yet. At this age, I'm still alone, however, I have hope now, I finally have the penny in my pocket.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The oldest living person in history? ;)

bhh likes this.
  8. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

I find them occasionally but they are easy to spot checking the edge so they are getting hard to find. Since 64 was the last year for silver it seems like 1965 is the most common dime (or quarter) that I find. The picture shows the edge of several current dimes with 2 silver dimes. As you can see they are pretty easy to spot. I work with money every day I will usually only find a silver dime every week or two. IMG_20170920_163800179.jpg

bhh likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Considering I remember when silver was under $2 an oz it seems strange to have $17 an oz described as incredibly low.

tommyc03 and bhh like this.
  10. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

As it would happen, I have just returned home from Walmart with the very first coin I have ever retrieved from a Coinstar reject bin... a 1964 (P) Dime in excellent condition!

bhh and tommyc03 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted