1964-D Peace Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by phubanks, May 11, 2010.

1. phubanks

phubanks Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. el_greko87

el_greko87 Junior Member

wow, i never knew!
    wouldnt that be a sweet find :)

4. phubanks

phubanks Junior Member

This is a replica

[​IMG]

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, they produced them, and all were supposed to be melted.

As for a find--
    you had better keep it secret--
    it is illegal to own.

6. I know it will never happen but would love to see a large dollar coin in circulation again. TC

7. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

The Mint was doing a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff in 1964, including the 1964-D Peace dollars and apparently producing the 1964 "Special Mint Sets." I think those are even rarer than generally believed. The number given has shrunk from 50 sets a few years ago to 18-20 sets today, not all of which contained genuine SMS 1964 halves and quarters. There is no "official" explanation for their production or origin, or even if they were made in Philadelphia or Denver. Full disclosure, I own a 1964 SMS Kennedy half and am researching the history of the sets.

8. Treashunt

good point.

hey, how about a picture of your '64 SMS!

9. giorgio11

It's on my website and it's also in my Registry Set at PCGS and the one currently pictured on PCGS Coinfacts

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

goirgio11 1964SMS 1 hex of a Gem

It is a beautiful coin!! I have check it T H it worth the time 4 sure:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1964-D Peace Dollar

I almost belt 1 day so worker from the Denver Mint,will pass.
    there heirs will find 1 or more of the melted 1964-D Peace Dollar

12. giorgio11

Thanks a lot Jello! "It's a nice 'un!"

13. Treashunt

giorgio11

Nice coin!

14. giorgio11

Thank you Frank, I'm right proud of that one. PCGS has certified 12 in all grades and NGC 6, but I believe the total certified population of different coins may be as low as 10-12 pieces. One dealer who bought most of them from the original Stack's sales in 1993 and after said that he aggressively cracked out and resubmitted coins for a decade, seeking higher grades.

15. phubanks

phubanks Junior Member

The US Mint should make a special minting of this coin ... then sell them like they did with the 2009 high relief gold double eagle.

[​IMG]

16. giorgio11

Great idea! Although it doesn't solve the problem for those who own the originals -- and I believe they are out there. Any auction house would likely refuse an original 1964-D Peace dollar since I think the Secret Service would confiscate it immediately. In that way it is different (I sure hope it continues to be different) from the 1964 SMS coins which have appeared in dozens of auctions over the past 17 years.

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Great idea !!!:thumb:
    With Moy at the helm the US mint & saying they have no silver planchet is only making coin now the will make a larger profit.as they have stop mint AME Proof! But they have silver planchets to make the 5oz State Park coin.
    I know that buy law there only required to make AME bullion coin,but if you have no silver how are you going to make a new 5oz silver coin??

18. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Here you go-
    [​IMG]

19. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Time to photograph my specimen?
    And they exist in some form. I do believe most that survived were gifts to politicians. I heard the mint was anal in the destruction process.

20. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Little do people know but the US Mint did not coin ANY dollar coins in 1964 at either facility.

The 1964-D Peace dollar was coined in May 1965. The trial strikes were coined on May 13-14 and the actual production of the circulating coins took place from May 15 - 27. In all 322,394 1964-D Peace Dollars were struck. Not a single one of them in 1964. :)

For a long time, I had a 64 Peace Dollar as my avatar. If I could own any coin I wanted, it would be one of those.

21. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

I understand Eva Adams had a couple of them, showed them to LBJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted