1964-D Peace Dollar $10,000.00 Reward

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jello, Apr 6, 2013.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

We Pgcs Did Put a Bounty on the 1st Real 1 to be graded by Pcgs. But How are they going to Keep the Secret Service From taking it?? that my $10,000.00 Question???
    Here the Coin World Public link to info with no copy write That can affect Cointalk .
    :devil:

http://www.coinworld.com/Articles/ViewArticle/pcgs-offers-reward-for-1964-d-peace-dollar

1 More Item there A New American Token Group on Cointalk Please Join if you like American Tokens.Open to anyone
    here the link
    :thumb:

http://www.cointalk.com/groups/116/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pretty simple really - the SS doesn't ask and they don't tell them.

It's already happened with other coins that are illegal to own.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

How is this "one of the most important coins of the 20th century" ??

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

What other coins are you speaking of? I'm trying to think of other graded illegal coins and I can't think of any. I know the 1913 V nickels were not minted with government sanction, but the secret service seems to not care about those. The only others I can think of is the one aluminum cent (which I believe the one graded example is legal) and the one legal 1933 $20 gold. Were other 1933 double eagles graded prior to being seized?

7. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Every single pattern coin out there.....and there are hundreds of them.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I didn't realize those were considered illegal to own. Why is that? I have never heard of one of them being seized.

9. enochian

enochian silver eater

well gold was illegle once but that was a long time ago

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh dear. Angelo's in trouble........You should have endeavored to remain silent dear fellow. Now the Feds are on to ya......:devil:

11. enochian

enochian silver eater

"The 1964-D Peace dollars were struck from May 13 to 24, 1965"

why are they dated 64 if struck in 65

12. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I always thought that pattern coins were "technically" illegal to own, but "overlooked" by the SS just like the 1913 V Nickel has been. Please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to know.

13. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Maybe the "Retention of 1964 on All Coins Act" that was pasted on Sept 3, 1964.:devil:

14. enochian

enochian silver eater

so if it was made in 65 would that make it 40% or the same

15. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Short answer, no.

The "Retention of 1964 on All Coin Act" passed in Sept 1964 authorized the US Mints to continue production of all coins beyond 1964 using the present metal content.

On July 23, 1965, the “Coinage Act of 1965” was signed into law, some of the things it allowed was the removal of silver from the dime and quarter dollar, reduced the silver content of the half dollar to 40%, re-opens the San Francisco facility as a coinage production facility, allows the continuation of striking 90% silver coins dated 1964, suspends the use of mint marks or other distinguishing marks on coinage and banned the production of silver dollars for a five year period.

EDIT TO ADD: The 1964-D Peace Dollars were made after the
    "Retention of 1964 on All Coin Act" but before the “Coinage Act of 1965”

16. enochian

enochian silver eater

did not know that about mintmarks why then did they still use the mint marks

17. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I don't understand the question, coinage dated 1965 - 1967 did not carry mint marks.

18. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Well after a little "office" reading, I found where my statement is incorrect. According to this nice write up in the red book under the pattern section, it explains that although their legal ownership remained questionable, a 1910 seizure of patterns from the John Haseltine collection brought a lawsuit against the US govt. that successfully used the mint's pre 1887 policy for owning pattern coins as an arguement for legal ownership. According to this write-up in the Red Book, pattern coins can now be legally held.

19. enochian

enochian silver eater

wow i did not know this i thaught they were all philly thanks

20. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

If you want a little light office reading, you might try the "Coinage Act of 1965" which has a section (102): "All coins and currencies of the United States…., regardless of when coined or issued, shall be legal tender for all debts public and private, public charges, taxes, duties and dues." I'm not sure why Patterns made before the act becomeing law wouldn't apply?

EDIT TO ADD: For that matter, why wouldn't ownership of a 1964-D Peace dollar fall under the "Coinage Act of 1965"?

21. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

...they are/were all minted in Philly (I think), just coins minted in Philly do not carry a mint mark :smile

Draft saved Draft deleted