1964 d nickel full steps

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Joe kool, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Ok guys whatcha thinking on price of this OR is it just .5 cent? I dont know how much of the steps collectors want. But I know it has them. I dont have the book yet for some reason red book is on backorder. Guess I'm ordering on for after Christmas delivery. Give me you thoughts

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Nice coin, but it won’t make FS.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Nope. Not anywhere near full steps.

JCro57 likes this.
  5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Agree with not full steps!

6. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

There should be 6 steps for FS designation although I have seen where there are some graded saying 5 full steps. You want to see all the steps uninterrupted. This coin took a hit and has a ding across the steps and from my understanding that is enough to keep it from being a true FS. Keep on looking though.

Joe kool likes this.
  7. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Ok my search continues.
    Will it have any more than 5 cent value.
    I have looked at so many nickels the last 2 days and not done yet. I dread pennies and dimes. Phew

SlipperySocks likes this.
  8. SlipperySocks

The one you posted really won't have any extra value unless it has the RPM. probably be a good Whitman album coin though.

Joe kool likes this.
  9. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Like slippery socks said there’s 6 step. I see about 4 but the coin is in nice shape I’ll stick in my collect to hold on too. Obverse looks good not too badly damaged. I think fx40-45

Joe kool likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Actually it only takes five steps to get the FS designation. NGC goes further and attribute both 5 a 6 FS. The steps should be full without dings that cross the depth of the steps. This one does not qualify. But still a nice looking Jefferson.

SlipperySocks likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The bottom of the steps is worn smooth and that slash (ding) is running through the other steps. Not a 1 step in my opinion.

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Joe in order to find full steps the first place to look for is below the third pillar. This is always the last area to fill in upon strike. To get a FS designation the fifth step should be full from left to right and show complete separation between steps. Not just the fifth but all the steps. Contact marks must be minimal enough to not bridge one step to another. Your coin looks like it could be MS? Not really sure, the luster is muted by the angled photo and too much light. Try taking your pics from the above. Arrange your lights to show as much luster and detail as possible, with out it being blast white.

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

That cut across the steps totally eliminates and possibility of FS.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

15. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Lehigh96 likes this.
  16. SlipperySocks

I was just trying unsuccessfully to do that. How did you?

17. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

How did I what?
    Lol

18. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Duh I didn't pay attention to that lol

Draft saved Draft deleted