1964-D Lincoln Cent Several Lamination Errors & Possible Misplaced Partial S MM?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jay-D, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Jay-D

Jay-D New Member

Dear COIN ERROR JEDI's:

Ok like I said..."I'll Be Back!" Hopefully this time with something other than post-mint damage or, more specifically, hopefully a true mint error.

Attached hereto are pics of a 1962-D Lincoln Cent with several clear Lamination Errors including, but not limited to, the Obverse: Rim (above LIBERTY) to Back of Lincoln's Esteemed Head, below the "U" in TRUST, on right-side of Lincoln's Vest, and my main point of interest....the Lamination through the DATE & MINT MARK.

My Question(s) are as follows:

1) Is this an example of a Mint Error (Not Post-Mint Damage)?, and;

2) If so, is it possible there is a secondary MM, namely, an "S" MM (or bottom-half of an "S" MM), located below and/or over the lower stem of the "9" in the Date?, and;

3) How would I identify the RIM ERROR (above LIBERTY) that looks like an "s-turn" on a race track? (Is it a specific Error other than the Lamination that extends therefrom?), and finally;

4) Any additional Errors present, other than the Laminations?

As always, I humbly submit my inquiry, look forward to your valued input, and I am grateful for your time, and knowledge. This forum, it's Q&A opportunities, and the level of expertise of the responses from expert...neh...JEDI Members is truly a priceless information asset for numismatists of all levels. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged.. All of it :yack:

No laminations. Those are circulation hits. All you have stated that is not PMD is surely PMD.

- Mr. Ed
    (Specializing in collecting errors since 1985)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    LaCointessa likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry, but your coin took a lot of hits while in circulation. It's PMD, not an error

You might want to check out

www.error-ref.com

It lists pics of numerous error types and is edited by some of the top error experts in the world. Search for lamination and compare them to your coin.

LaCointessa likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Dam, dam, dam, dam, damage! Sorry about the stuttering. ~ Chris

LaCointessa likes this.
  6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Excellent pictures though! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hiya @Jay-D..

What is helping me be able to identify post mint damage, is that at a point I sat down and began to study how coins are made. What is a particular coin made of and what is (was) the actual process of minting? Once I really took time to BEGIN to understand that and saw examples of the effects on a coin as a result of various types of die (and other) damage, I began to understand that the type of 'damage' you point to on your coin could not happen at the mint. What would cause it, given the minting process? That is one of the first questions that I consider when looking at coin 'anomalies.' Just my humble, (and will always be) student input -- and I am still often wrong.

Check this website out: http://www.error-ref.com

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Oldhoopster likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Unfortunately they are all damaged.

LaCointessa likes this.
  9. Trkdvr

Trkdvr Active Member

If those are mint errors, I'm rich!!! That penny took a lot of hits from something. I'm no expert but I can tell post mint damage.

LaCointessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted