1964 D Jefferson - Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lealeigh, Jan 18, 2020.

1. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

I came across this 1964 D Jefferson while going through my inherited coin collection and think it may be one of the nicest ones I've ever seen! I'd love to know what you all think!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

Additional pics

Attached Files:

4. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

Additional pics

Attached Files:

5. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

A few more pics

Attached Files:

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Why don't you show pictures of the Complete obverse and complete reverse?

Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Yes, kind of hard to see one piece at a time!

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I also say show the full coin picture..
    Obverse and Reverse!.. Always!

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is no way to grade a coin from these images.

10. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

Oh sorry!! - thought I had them in there.

Attached Files:

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. Complete full pictures with nothing cut off o_O

Like this..
    1964-d-jefferson-nickel.jpg

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

throw away the microscope until you can do really nice COMPLETE images as shown above.

steps when taking coin pictures
    #1 - take FULL images front and back with proper orientation
    #2 - refer to #1, then if complete, then take up close images of specific areas you want to question/highlight.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  13. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

@lealeigh- After you follow the above suggestions don't click on Thumbnail, click on Full Image.

14. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

I need a better device for taking photos! My current one will not focus at all when trying to take photos any further than about 5 inches away. I typically use it to look at coins via computer screen and give my eyes a break from my regular loupe.

I thought I'd try to get full photos uploaded while I search for a new scope/camera - I took these with my phone. If these don't work, I'll post new ones in the next few days when I get a new camera.

Attached Files:

15. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

1964 D Jefferson (1).jpg 1964 D Jefferson (1).jpg 1964 D Jefferson (2).jpg 1964 D Jefferson (3).jpg 1964 D Jefferson (4).jpg 1964 D Jefferson (1).jpg Sorry - Here's Full Image instead of Thumbnail

Attached Files:

Islander80-83 likes this.
  16. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

That's better. :hilarious:

44313793-baby-grivet-monkey-looking-upside-down-ccfopt.jpg

Don't worry about it, it just takes practice.

George McClellan and green18 like this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Your 'white balance' was a tad off. I took the liberty of somewhat correcting it.

1964 D Jefferson (4).jpg 1964 D Jefferson (6).jpg

Your shots are a bit out of focus, so it is quite impossible to make an accurate assessment of your coin.

A simple 'point and shoot' camera from Canon or Nikon, and with macro capabilities, will help you immensely. you should be able to get one on the 'cheap. They are not expensive cameras, and quite capable of taking excellent pictures. Check out E-Bay. That's where I got my Canon SD-1200, and it served me greatly back before I got my DSLR.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  18. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Photos will improve with time and practice. But I also recommend that you use the Search tool here to read up on suggestions made by members who have toiled over their shots for a long while now.

General comment (not directed at the OP): many times, folks will complain about their equipment when most of the time, it's really just a case at being a neophyte with macrophotography. However, I do see a number of photos that folks post off of their digital scopes. To me, these tend to be the worst at getting useable photos. It also seems to be a common error to run out and buy one of these devices when a bit of experimentation with the camera on one's phone is probably all that is needed. Even the cheapest of phones these days have superior cameras than they will get with digital scopes/microscopes with cameras built in. Best to do some research before spending money on something you'll box back up and stick in the closet.

19. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It is nicer than the average 64 D nickel. Not high enough grade to be worth any premium over face value, but nice enough to put in a holder if you want to keep it.

20. lealeigh

lealeigh New Member

Thanks everyone! I'll look into the suggestions regarding the camera as well - the advice is greatly appreciated!!

Draft saved Draft deleted