1964 D Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jeff Callahan, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

What would you call this? Another one I've never seen.

20201225_120745.jpg 20201225_120759.jpg Still001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Corrosion and crud? Environmental damage.

Jeff Callahan likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That IS odd looking, die damage?

Jeff Callahan and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. Jeff Callahan

I can try and clean it up a bit and repost a new photo.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Dirty, damaged with slight corrosion.

7. Jeff Callahan

8. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Worn and put away, somewhere for many years.

10. Jeff Callahan

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Jeff Callahan

That "I" turning into an "L" is not corrosion, nor did being stored somewhere for a long time cause it. I will agree with some kind of damage, either environmental or from a damaged die. It is pretty cool to look at though.

2manyhobbies likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very likely could be a die break at a likely point @paddyman98

Jeff Callahan and Kevin Mader like this.
  13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Never a good idea to wash a coin at all. When it was dirty it was worth 5 cents, after washing it's worth 5 cents! better luck next time! :D

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

My take is a very extreme hit to the B separating it. Being close to the I it looks like it might be something else, but I'm going with damage. JMHO.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Exactly as Tommy said the B took a hit which makes it look separated. As far as the IB it has joined from circulation wear and tear.

Jeff Callahan and tommyc03 like this.
  16. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

I can see how the lower part of the "B" took a hit, But I can't see how that hit would move the material perfectly in way to form a bridge to the lower "I". I can also see LDS on this coin so maybe it's part of a worn die issue.

17. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

It looks like a elongated die chip/break underscoring the B extending from the I. Dies will have typical areas of weakness...pinch points...that are more likely to fail at some point. You see this on LIBERTY on Lincoln Cents and usually along the tops of the devices adjacent to the rim on the Obverse of Jefferson nickels. I've not seen a chip/break like that in that particular spot, but not out of the question. No premium this time...but keep that in mind when you got to 'clean' a coin. Conserve the coin to be conservative if you think it has any potential value. One member here posted a 1909 S (VDB) heavily corroded. They asked questions before doing anything...especially on a coin like that where values could be over $100 or much more if they find the VDB. This was a good nickel to experiment on as it is a spender...unless you like that for a reference piece in your collection.

18. Jeff Callahan

I just wanted to find something cool. Lol. I am new to this and extremely anxious to make my first discovery.

As for the coin, I suppose the only enjoyment I will be getting from it has been to see everyone's interest in the anomaly it generated for discussion. If you would care to have it for a more complete study on what may have actually caused it to happen, just reply and let me know where to send it. Thanks.

19. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I think that with each step, you are getting to a better point in developing your eye for varieties/errors. It takes some practice, and this specimen was just that. It did not appear normal to you, and while indeed it does look peculiar, it's a natural phenomenon that occurs as the die ages. What is really interesting is when an early die state strike shows evidence of premature failure. Of course, there are the usual suspect places to find damage to the die (due to wear and tear). You've probably noted the cracks that develop from the corners of the Monticello or the Lincoln Memorial. Stressors in the design attract the focused energy of the strike/press. The die gives up. Or damage when a pair of dies contact each other without a planchet. Looking at each design for each denomination, you'll quickly identify where the typical wear-and-tear events occur.

Normally, not much if anything for a premium. But certain wear-and-tear events do get some extra attention: BIE cents, 3 or 3 1/2 legged buffalo, 2 or 2 1/2 feather indians, 1922 Plain LWC. Wear-and-tear, grease filled dies, aggressive die maintenance....etc., etc., etc.,...lots of ways to change the look of a coin from subtle to significant. It makes the hobby interesting for a number of us. But to many others, a lot to do about nothing (e.g., it's just the natural progression of a dies life). To each their own. Collect what you like...like what you've kept...even for a little while.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. Jeff Callahan

21. Jeff Callahan

I just replied to you in the other thread and then came here to read this one. This one just verifies that you understand my frustration because you can remember what it was like for you when you first started trying to figure it all out. There is a lot to take in. I actually have another coin that caught my eye but I was kind of leery of posting it. LOL. But I would really like to understand what happened to cause what I saw. Is there a means through which I can present it to you without embarrassing myself again? I don't see a way to use this window to send it to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted