1964 D floating head five cent?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bargainbidder, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Bargainbidder

Bargainbidder Well-Known Member

Is this considered a floating head or just partial decapitation?..lol 20190818_065213.jpg 20190818_065152.jpg 20190818_065101.jpg 20190818_065101.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

Abrasion Jefferson.jpg Result of heavy die abrasion to remove clash marks or gouges, etc

Die Abrasion

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-co...ame-can-be-intentional-or-accidental.all.html

Ken Potter

Die abrasion is one of the main causes of missing or weakened details on dies and coins struck with them. Dies are routinely abraded in order to remove clash marks and/or superficial die cracks to extend die life. Abrading a die with aluminum oxide cloth or other abrasives for this reason is not the same as die polishing - though the term "die polish" is very often misused, even by experts who should know better, in place of the term "die abrasion."

Here are some examples of coins struck with abraded dies.

Note that missing or weak details due to this cause rarely add value to a coin though some abraded die varieties such as the 1937-D "Three Legged Buffalo nickel, the 1922 No D Lincoln cent and certain missing designer initials varieties have caught on.

Jefferson: 1966 5c Abraded Obv Die owed by Al Bobrofsky, Submitted to me at the MSNS Spring 2017 Convention.

Much of the detail in the queue in Jefferson's wig is missing due to die abrasion. There is also missing details in the area of the throat, back of neck and forward "V" of bust.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    tommyc03 and Bargainbidder like this.
  4. Bargainbidder

Bargainbidder Well-Known Member

Thank you Pete Apple, was just a coin that caught my eye and put away for years until I could make it a hobby after retirement. As I got closer a growing fear was keeping active when 40+ years of working comes to an end with the last 15 working two jobs.

5. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

I understand! I retired 15 years ago. Since then, I have been actively involved in research: Genealogy (including teaching myself Old German Script), Archaeology (published a couple of papers), and Numismatics (published one paper and have been notified another is to be published soon). Have no fear!!!

Bargainbidder likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Pete Apple

Maybe we should call this an "OJ nickel".

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted