1964 copper nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pharmgirl, Dec 1, 2009.

1. c.j

c.j New Member

I found a 65 D nickel that looks dark brown almost black, it weighs 4.82 and has no ware to it, I was digging around a foundation of a old house to reseal it and it was in the ground. Do you maybe know if it's different metal than copper ? I can't find anything about it online or calling shops

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

No, it is a normal nickel. It is from being buried, I see it all the time metal detecting.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Paul Cain

Paul Cain New Member

I am new to this farm and just signed up pending approval but I just dug up a 1964 copper nickel. I will post pictures as soon as I am approved to do so I'm very curious about this

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nickels are 75% copper. If you dug it up, it's just environmental damage.
    There aren't really copper nickels as the copper and nickel are alloyed (mixed together) "cupronickel" before they make the nickels. They aren't layered.

Post #7 in this thread explains this and shows a very nice photo of an improperly annealed nickel. That would be an error and a keeper.

You could have a nickel on a copper cent planchet but that would be the size and weight (3.1g) of a penny and a nickel weighs 5 grams.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Agree with camaroDMD...sounds like improper annealing of planchet...lets see it!

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

No, I liked the part where you mentioned scratching the coin.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

They didn't strike any 1965-D nickels.

9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Are you aware that this original post is 8 years old?

10. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Is it possible that this nickel was struck on a solid planchet that the mint was using for a foreign government contract?

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Paul Cain. If the nickel was in the ground, the copper color is due to environmental damage. Please do not confuse responses to the other posts on this thread. many of them are responding to the older posts.

If you do want to post a picture, it's best to start a new thread. This will help CT members provide specific answers to your questions and avoid confusion with previous topics.

12. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

I once was at the beach and found an otherwise intact Buffalo nickel turned absolutely brown due to salt water immersion.
    Also, while metal detecting I've found many, many brown nickels; the worse for their laying in the soil for several years.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not only is this a necrothread, but the OP made one and only one posting. Are we really THAT mean to new posters :)

14. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

I have found that metal detected silver colored coins when tumbled with copper cents can turn a copper color.

15. Coin E Zees

Coin E Zees Member

I have one as well.
    What was it?

IMG_2480.PNG

16. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

That is environmental damage, your nickel spent some time in the ground.

17. Coin E Zees

Coin E Zees Member

You sure. How far do I have to sand into this thing to get to shiny metal. See my 64. It turns shiny. The 96 does not
    IMG_2487.JPG

18. Coin E Zees

Coin E Zees Member

Hope I didn't ruin it now

19. Coin E Zees

Coin E Zees Member

It's ok it's no one fault but myself. I am told in this field to trust your gut. I'm new so I lean on advice but people are looking at pics and it's a bit different through a photo.

20. Coin E Zees

Coin E Zees Member

Thickness was something else I should of considered. The 96 is way thin. Still wonder if it's counterfeit or a penny planchette
    image.jpg

21. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Can't be sure of anything from a picture. It looks too large to be a cent planchet, did you weigh it?

Draft saved Draft deleted