1964 copper nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pharmgirl, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Pharmgirl

Pharmgirl Junior Member

I have a 1964 copper nickel. I took it to a coin shop with several questions. The owner stated that it could been past up when stamping the nickel overlay. The coin is not worn. The coin is evenly colored. It has not be weighed as of yet. Does anyone know anything about it? He had never seen one before and advised me to come here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ten-cents

ten-cents Senior Member

as had been said before on this forum, you must post pictures before anyone here can help you.

4. AgGari

AgGari Junior Member

Well, here is my 5 cents, spend it anyway you like. While my sister and I are not coin experts in any shape or form, we did not want to waste time and take photos of our cute new baby if it isn't going to be interesting to any of you.
    All we know, minus photos (is it interesting yet?) that our Pop found one years ago. Same year, same mint, slightly thicker, both weigh in at 5.1 grams, doesn't show alloy when scratched, yes looked at under a loop. Yes, it is copper-looks like a penny, the tone and appearance. Neither of us can find a coin dealer who knows anything about it. I've been to several shops here in New York and she has been to several in Arizona, to no avail. All I know is that several people claim to have one just like mine, just like my sisters, but no one seems to know anything about it. I'm guessing you don't either. They claim the same year 1964. If that is not interesting enough for you, I'm sure we will eventually find an answer.
    Hope I did not bore you.

5. Specksynder

Specksynder Junior Member

It's obviously very interesting to you. You've talked to lots of people about it, you've visited coin dealers in two different states to try to learn about it, you've searched out this forum, registered and now asked about it. If you go to all that trouble, why not snap a pic and share it.

That being said, there is another discussion about a copper nickel here: and it is not the same year as yours.

I saw another thread today here where the consensus seemed to be that the coin may have been toned due to being buried for some time.

The folks here are friendly & helpful, but you gotta help them out. A picture tells a thousand words. You admit you're not a coin person, so you don't know what might give valuable information, but the picture will show the rim, level of wear, pitting, etc. that other folks may know to look for. So when you get some time, we'd love to see some pics.

6. mystery45

mystery45 Junior Member

don't be so rude to people trying to help. they need the picture to see what is going on with the nickel to tell what exactly happened.

enamel7 likes this.
  7. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

"The owner stated that it could been past up when stamping the nickel overlay."

The owner of a coin store told you that? News to me.

Weigh your coin. If it weighs 5 grams it's a nickel that was heated, burried or put somewhere to do that. If it weighs 3.11 grams it's a nickel that was struck with a copper cent planchet and worth more than 5 cents.

By the way. Nickels are made of 75% copper and 25% nickel

mikenoodle likes this.
  8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is not possible as nickels aren't coated in nickel...they are a copper-nickel alloy and it is consistent throughout. It is possible that it is an improperly annealed planchet. This occurs before the coin is struck, the planchet is baked in an oven. If there is some copper molecules in the oven from previous coins (cents)...they can settle on and coat the nickel plancet resulting in a copper color. Here is an example of this from my collection. Because the coating is so thin it won't affect the weight of the coin.

[​IMG]

Without pictures, it's impossible to know for sure what you have. It could be an improperly annealed planchet, it could be corrosion, it could be something else.

9. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

Nice Coin and Pic Camaro!

10. JamesB

JamesB Junior Member

1964 Jefferson Copper Nickel

Attached are photos of the 1964 Jefferson Copper Nickel I have; two examples are comparisons heads and obverse with a 1963 Jefferson Nickel; and two are heads and obverse of these nickels with a copper Lincoln penny.

The Copper Nickel appears fuill-sized not the result of an undesized penny blank. This is from the Denver Mint. The Copper Nickel appears correct as far as I can tell. Obviously there have been others as well, judging by the comments here.

I plan to have this coin carefully weighed and it should have a different weight if it is solid copper.

Jim

Attached Files:

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

With the newer services of NGC and PCGS, you can have a very scientific report on the composition of your nickel, once you have determined there is a good chance of that being the case. Since the nickel blanks are alloyed (solid) , and the size is correct, it is difficult to imagine how copper cent strips could have been punched by the nickel punch to produce the correct size and then fed into the striking press. I guess it could be mischief by the coiners, but I would guess it is more likely a chemical alteration of the surface.

The weight would not generally give a definitive answer as the specific gravity of copper and nickel are almost identical at 8.90 +/- small % .

Jim

12. JamesB

JamesB Junior Member

1964 Jefferson Copper Nickel

Many thanks for the update on this coin. Much appreciated. I'll investigate further as you have referenced and am sure it will be interesting.

Jim

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

And I apologize for not noticing that you are new, and Welcoming you to the forum!
    The spectroscopic analysis that these 2 ( PCGS and NGC) companies utilize are non destructive and highly accurate. About the only physical way commonly available is to scratch through the surface to see if it is a coating or chemical reaction, and this is to be avoided until you have further information.

14. JamesB

JamesB Junior Member

desertgem

Thank you again for your invaluable direction. I had pulled up the physical characteriustics (specific gravitydensity) of both Cu and Ni and they are, as you point out,m extremely close, being 8.84 and 8.908 g/cubic centimeter, or only 0.068 apart, a very small amount to calculate for being solid Cu vs. the 75/25 ratio.

I have pulled a list of NGC coin members and will follow this up with one close by here in Torrance, California.

Many thanks for your thoughtful inputs.

Jim

15. misterf

misterf New Member

I have a copper nickel as well and I am a collector 1964 d

I have a 1964 d nickel that is copper but you need to have it sent off and for authentication alot of nickels that year did turn a uneven coppertone because of all the copper in the nickel due to being buried or heat treated from house fire or being in sandy or gravel area dirt areas. Value unknown i seen one with papers on auction for 2,000 dollars but it did not sell and I havnt had time to look into it but coin dealers are scared of them! I am curently on a 1700 sellement in missourri and have found strange things (1) I am hoping someone can help me with . It is 1/4 in by 1/4 inch string cut square in shape and wieghs 4.3 and on the left it has a knight in french armor at attention and on the right it has a king holding a goblet at cheers twords the knight and it has roman numerals on the bottom and the kings crown and knights helmet are ingraved and the otherside has writing at the bottom i cant make out and i believe a crest but it is made out of pewter i believe and it has a ceramic coating over the coin , the coin was string cut before it was coated most detail can only be seen under electron microscope and the french settled here but the spanish governed it prior to a few pioneers in a small village and before that it was native americans St louis county mo. I will post a pic when i get back to my set up I understand its importantce but you cant make it out well . I dont know if it was a french government seal, coin wieght i dont think or perhaps settelers currency. Or old foreighn square coin . Thank you very much I also found servant bells and cloak brooches and raw materials among many old coins and relics and the" most interesting " in a big creek at the bottom of a huge rock bluff a piece of metal soft and shiny but hard to I know confusing huh? like silver but can blind you if the sun reflects it and I have tried to cut the corner but nothing I have will cut it and it broke the teeth on my saw ? It is not magnetic and a torch wouldnt discolor it I cant melt it and it is less than a quarter inch thick but hard and soft ? the only way to explain it is its like a cross between aluminum foil and an earplug when you fold it or bend it it just goes back flat with no wrinkles but you cant stab a hole through it anyone know what kind of metal this is ? it was in a dirty creek and looks manmade but had nothing growing on it didnt even have to wash it off dont know much about aviation wondered if it was off a new plane or something but no crash site just an idea ??? not gold not silver not copper not aluminum and not spring steel my steel shears froze up on it and its about 2 foot by 2 foot and unbeleivably light wieght and no writing numbers or markings . I dont know my other metals any help would be great and I will try to figure out what the nickel is worth and post it asap. thanks

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sounds like Beldar Conehead is back in town......:)

And welcome to the forum.

17. JamesB

JamesB Junior Member

As a follow-up to my submitted pictures and information on a 1964 D "Copper" nickel, I had submitted this to NGC for analysis and they responded, sending back that coin, "This NGC coin, Certification # 3338638-001 is not an error recognized by NGC for the following reason: " Damage or Alteration"the accompanying picture and sticker state that this coinh has an "altered surface".

Jim Gordon

18. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

sounds like you found "Memfoil", was first designed and sold as a camping aid, you can form it into many different shapes like a bowl for boiling water or a pan for cooking, use it as a flat cooking surface or wrap fish in it like tinfoil, or wrap meat and place in cold stream to keep it cool, many uses, then when your done just rinse it off, fold it up an pack it away, but if your piece no longer holds its shape then its past its expiration date, go to any large sporting goods store an ask for it in the camping section....;)

19. kenneth winters

kenneth winters New Member

hello i found the excact on rubbed it clean it shines like a real copper pennie i wiegh it several times it also weights excatly 5.1 and i agree with you it seems like everyone wants to make excuses for it by saying its a trick but if it was a trick you would see signs of nickle the coin is solid copper i dont care what they say im hanging on to mine untill the real truth is finally exposed as to how a solid copper coin was struck to spike those who try to bully the coin my email is Edit: Email address is against forum policy for your protection. Please use "Conversations" at least first to confirm it is a real erson and not a spmabot anyone is welcome to wright me there if a soulution is found or if you would like to chat thank you and good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017
  20. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Maybe it's red gold! Did ya ever think of that? Huh? Huh?

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It's not a good idea to put your email address out on a Web site. You may soon have more spam than you know what to do with.

Draft saved Draft deleted