1964 Chilean 20 pesos

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moustan, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Moustan

Moustan New Member

I'm fairly ignorant and was totally oblivious to the fact that Chile exported anything other than very good wine. Kinda surprising to find a bullion coin from there and unusual (where I live, dunno about the states) and so I quickly bought it, mainly because it was a cheaper alternative to a ducat and the same weight but still. I got it through today and it's a wee beauty but has a tiny black spot on it that you can't make out in the pics - anyone know how to clean this off without damage? Any info on these coins would be much appreciated :D

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

Beautiful Coin :thumb:
    The spot is probably a carbon spot. You might ask Drusus about the right cleaning technique.
    The coin is a km#168 and contains 0.1177 ASW Gold.
    It should be worth about $80~$90 in UNC.

4. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

P.S. Its worth its bullion value in XF condition.

5. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Cheers Kid, I really don't no where to start when I get a coin like this that I've never even heard of. Do you know if they're still in mintage? I'll go and track down Drusus lol

6. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

Nope...its not minted any more. This coin was minted between 1926 to 1980.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I am looking for a nice BU example of the 100 Pesos from that series, they are lovely coins and usually not too pricey.

8. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Is it not the same design? I really like these coins, a nice change from the European golds I've bought in the past. Btw I managed to get the wee black bit off through the somewhat unorthodox method of furiously scraping at it with a guitar pick lol.

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They are all the same design, with the female on the front and the coat of arms on the reverse. Right now Chilean gold is one of those "off" countries that doesn't command much if any premium over melt. Currently Austro-Hungarian 100K coins and Mexican gold medals are the others. Practically everything else has a premium on it, demand for gold is higher than it has been and the price is artificially held down - there are theories that the Fed might be behind the so so price of gold.

10. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Yeah, a lot of folk who want to invest in something solid due to the recession are spending their spare income on traditional bullion like Krugerrands. Guineas are the best imo - I've got two of them in horrendous condition that I got for below melt, but it's quite rare to find them unfortunately.
    Cheers for the info bud, I might look into Chilean coins a bit more - they seem quite interesting and at the very least, aesthetically pleasing.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

You mean real guineas, like this one:

[​IMG]

Not pretty, but historical nonetheless and not much over spot for the thing.

12. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Yep, I've got one in a condition close to that except for the fact that some eejit's taken a drill to it for jewellery purposes which's knocked .5 grams off its weight unfortunately. I prefer tem to sovereigns personally although I think that the 5 guinea was a shade too far, they weigh in it at what? 40 grams? A bit excessive for the 17th centuries imo.
    That's a pretty nice coin you've got there - I now aspire to get one as nice as that which is intact lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted