1964 ACCENTED HAIR

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by redcent230, Oct 18, 2015.

1. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

What is Accented Hair mean ? I have seen a few of them and still don't know what it mean by that term. Is it better detail or what ??? How does it get Accented Hair just for 1964 ? And why not for other Kennedy dates ? Please expain.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This makes me think of when these were discovered. Many folks were having a great time trying to cherrypick them on Ebay and out of dealers stock. The images at that time were not all that good so it made it tough to be sure it was the variety.

It was really cool to find a DCAM. Many of the questionable grading services didn't spot them and show it on the slab. These were easy to cherrypick because many collectors would not even look at coins in those holders. It was a fun time.

You could even buy reproduction envelopes for the 64 proof set. They were used to make people think they were buying unsearched sets.

Thanks paddyman for posting that link. I think the guy that created that site was like the king on the topic.

6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

When were these discovered? Soon after 1964?

7. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

charlietig likes this.
  8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I remember a couple years back I had some real sealed unsearched proof sets I sold on here I think was rickmp got an accented hair out of them I never heard of it cause I'm mostly a pre 1900 guy

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The Accented Hair Kennedy Variety is the perfect coin for folks to actually look at a coin and SEE some differences that normal eyes are immune from seeing.

Subtle difference in the hair and the lines which make up the hair is as bold as the nose on your face once you actually "See" them.

Thankfully Russ and others have put together some nice photographs specifically detailing the differences.

HOWEVER, pay little attention to the "Reverse" as a validation point since that reverse exists on non-Accented Hair Obverses as well as several difference 1964-D Coins.

The Accented Hair Kennedy comes in nbo less than 11 different dies of which 10 of those are significant enough of a doubled die to be listed in CONECA's files.

There could be more.

11. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Mine is in my Avatar...best find in wild for me...I think it CAMs. 64AH_007.jpg

charlietig, ldhair and ken454 like this.
  12. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Definitely one of my favorite coins.. I bought one in a mint set a while back and it's been *very* tempting to send to PCGS - it looks pretty nice...

Draft saved Draft deleted