1964 accent hair 50c pf 67 NGC

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jpwestpoint, May 24, 2016.

1. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

Wondering what everyone thinks its worth. I looked up the ngc code, and it showed a chart of it being at $300, but it also showed that this last month it dropped $60. I have the opportunity to grab it for $200. Beautiful coin. Let me know if its a good deal.

Thanks,
    Joe.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They have been bringing about $150.

jpwestpoint likes this.
  4. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

Yikes,
    so I guess I cant go off ngc price guide. Not even close. thanks.

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

@jpwestpoint, maybe you already know about Heritage (ha.com), but if you don't, they are a well-known and reliable source of closed auction results.

Sign up for an account if you don't already have one (it's free), then search for "1964 accented hair 50c pf 67". Click on "Past Auction Archives" and sort by "Most Recent Sales". Then you can see for yourself that @ldhair is correct in his pricing estimate.

jpwestpoint likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A lot of talk recently about "Accent Hair". I'm not sure what the big deal is on this. Unless you're an avid and most serious "I've got to have every Kennedy ever made" collector forget it. I picked up one about 3 months ago for less than $75.00, PCGS MS-66 only because it was a bargain. There's a lot of better coins for the price you mentioned.

jpwestpoint likes this.
  7. jpwestpoint

jpwestpoint Member

Examples? I always take good advice.

8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I have several of these, but the one you want to own is a nice cameo coin, much tougher to find and a bunch more money. Cameo coins are about 20% of the brilliant proof coins pop., while D Cam. coins are only about 1.5% of the brilliant pop. With a total pop estimate of only about 50-60K, compared to almost 2-3 million of the type 2 proofs which have survived, the Accented Hair variety (or type 1 variety) is undervalued and will surely do well in future years.

Paul M. and jpwestpoint like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

MS?

jpwestpoint likes this.
  10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

NGC (as well as PCGS) price guide is probably the high retail for most coins. That being said, it varies depending on the type of coin and it's "make and model". I will bid between .45% and .65% x listed price guide for most Walkers. Just yesterday, an 1893 CC Morgan MS62 in NGC slab went for $5,600...the price guide was $6500.

jpwestpoint likes this.
  11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Be very careful if/when taking advice from anyone with an emotional opinion of or attachment to the or any coin. Unfortunately, many collectors will promote personal favorites as being better/wiser acquisitions for the simple fact that they want them to be such. What's best for them doesn't necessarily mean the same will be true for you.

If the accented hair variety is what catches your eye and is something you're certain you'll enjoy, then this is the coin you should search out no matter what anyone else says or thinks. Just take your time, learn as much as possible about both the coin and series, and try to search out the nicest example you can afford or can be purchased with what you're willing to spend.

There can, at least for one who collects, be much more to be gained by thoughtful buying than any highly questionable/debatable future potential.

chascat, fish4uinmd and jpwestpoint like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

MS-66 PCGS I couldn't go wrong.

jpwestpoint likes this.
  13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

jpwestpoint likes this.
  14. Aquahollic

Aquahollic ֍ E Pluribus Unum ֎

They should be PR since they're proofs.

Draft saved Draft deleted