1964-A $20 Dollar Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by VistaCruiser69, Feb 26, 2021.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

I got this in my change this morning. First thing I noticed was the date. I look at all the dates on the bills I get back in my change. Getting into the office I took a closer look at it and noticed that it's a star note and interesting serial number. The star note and low serial number is probably why someone held onto it for a long time. Thought it was a pretty interesting bill. 1963. Long time ago. Perhaps to some it doesn't seem that long ago. But to me it was before I was born and.....they were still filming the Andy Griffith show at that time. Before Gomer Pyle and Green Acres were produced, to name just a few. Putting it into that perspective, it does seem like a very long long....time ago. Bill 1.jpeg Bill 2.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Nice find definitely a keeper.

VistaCruiser69 and DarkRage666 like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Nice find for being in circulation and I'd certainly keep it. Too bad about the condition, especially the staining.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Definitely a keeper. Unfortunately its condition shows lots of 'commerce'. Would be nice if it were a low serial number, but it is still nice.
    A low serial # is at least five leading zeros, some will say at least six leading zeros.

For a cost of $20, it's definitely worthy of preserving the condition. Throw it in a sleeve and enjoy.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I see dates on our coins the same way....1963... We had a young and vibrant president that was about to be taken away from us.... The Beatles shocked the world with incredibly long hair (it covered the top of their ears)...... And the entire country gathered around the family TV (black & white) every Sunday evening to watch the Ed Sullivan Show. And your twenty dollar bill saw it all.

VistaCruiser69 and masterswimmer like this.
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice circulation find. These were being printed in 1965/66.

8. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Cool enough to keep, that's for sure.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes as Steve says it's younger than 1963, as the date stays the same until there is a design change. But it is a star note and it's almost a nice serial. 00111111* would bring a premium. Or 00111100*. It's a keeper. In circulated condition, 1963A lists for $22. The star makes it worth a little more. ($25? I can't find a value for it).

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A few stains but under some slack guidelines it can be classified as a ladder note. Some would question that. Nice find. I'd keep it.

11. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

A ladder note with a few rungs missing.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Some define a ladder note as each number is higher than the previous number. Others define a ladder note as the numbers are the same or higher.

13. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback. I greatly appreciate it. Yes I think that someone must have held onto this bill for a very long time because of the star note and the unique serial number. Somehow and at some point, the bill ended up going back into circulation. I'll hang onto it and add it to my "found in circulation collection", for now. Who knows. This bill may have been at Woodstock.

Draft saved Draft deleted