1964 50 cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lewis H Wilkerson, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Lewis H Wilkerson

Lewis H Wilkerson New Member

I have alot of questions about thus coin.
    One is, whar are those gouges on his face? I see that shape on other coins as well.
    Notice the rays on the reverse. One side is thicker. Right side is broken up.
    Notice the leaves on the branch.
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

The gouges on his face are probably reed marks from other coins hitting it. Don't know about the rest. Looks like a normal circulated coin to me.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nothing special....except if you're looking at clouds on your back, which I once did in my youth. Good lord, the imagined images that would 'pop'.......

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That half looks normal to me. Just circulation wear.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  6. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Yeah there's nothing special there. Lots of the Kennedy's have that doubling look for the 60's decade.

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Consider that in this, the first year of the Kennedy half, they produced over 277 million of these. The dies were really worked & the pressure required to make a half contributed to the deterioration of the dies. You have a nice, but worn out die version, which also has circulation/bag marks. Oh, & it's definitely not the "accented hair" variety.

Prez2 likes this.
  8. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

It's not an Accented Hair, but it is a version of the "Transitional Variety" (that is what it was called a few years ago), where the reverse matches the reverse of an Accented Hair variety. You can tell by the broken rays and the FG on the reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted