1963 Lincoln Memorial DDR? Something else?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Wardo, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Wardo

Wardo Member

Just got a cheapo macro lens for my phone, and started messing with it. I accidentally came across this. There seems to be a fairly strong extra column in the third bay, and extra ridges between nearly ever column, to the left and right of the memorial, and about an 1/8 inch above the columns on 4, 10, and between 11 and 12. Not too sure what I'm looking at here... Opinions? 1963 Obv..jpg Left side + extra column 2.jpg Left side + extra column.jpg Right side.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Not sure, myself, but Lincoln seems to be the center of a blackhole, as the building appears to be coming in upon itself in the middle, lol.

Wardo likes this.
  4. Wardo

Wardo Member

Haha, I guess I was looking at the smaller stuff and missed the warp all around him. This would look great in a PCGS "Black Hole Reverse" label. :D

Garlicus likes this.
  5. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

This is interesting, and it would take an in hand look. It would be rare for this type of doubling on an early Memorial cent, but it looks like it. I would contact John Wexler at doubleddie.com and possibly send it to him.

Wardo likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

7. jallengomez

What I'm seeing in bays 3 & 10 is definitely not part of the design.

tomfiggy likes this.
  8. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I see the same vertical lines on the outside of the memorial too. Could it be from polishing?

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That sure is interesting!
    From the look of the polish lines going vertical. I am thinking that what we are seeing is what looks like doubling from a heavy polishing.

10. Wardo

Wardo Member

Sorry for the delay in replying, I just got home from work. It is one of the more interesting reverses I've come across. I'm not sure quite what to make of it. I did contact John Wexler. I sent him an email with photos attached. He seemed interested, and said it was worthy of a closer look, so I think I might send it out to him Monday or so. At least that way I'll get a definitive good or bad, and I can stop thinking about it. :D

jallengomez likes this.
  11. jallengomez

Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Wardo

Wardo Member

So I've been looking at it a lot under a loupe since last night. It does seem like the majority of it could be polishing marks. I do find it strange that they are near completely vertical, and almost all under the memorial though. Under a loupe, bays 3, and the last two still look like there is more to the story. I might still send it out, but I don't think I'm going to be in a hurry about it. Might wait 'till I have something else to send with it. At any rate, Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the extra eyes on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted