1963-D lincoln odd error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by acanthite, May 24, 2010.

1. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I found this a few days ago. Most of the roughness and bumps around the 6 are explained by lamination peeling, which is apparent elsewhere on the coin (not really visible in the photos). The prominent prong coming out at the base of the 6 is more difficult to explain. I don't see how it could be a tilted repunch of a digit, more likely something to do with the lamination. I've posted two closeups with lighting scattered differently to attempt to illustrate it better. Any comments are welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

cud markings i have a few state quarters , and some few lincoln memorial cents with cud marks..most likely an imporperly set die that wasnt recarved right.. (if they did..reuse a plancett).. id suggest you sent it to ngc or anacs or pcgs.. let them take a look see

4. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

:eating: :rolling::confused::eek:

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I think if you look closely you will find that it is some more of your peeling lamination. It is pinned on the right and has swung counterclockwise off the base of the "6".

jay4202472000 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Is it possible that someone mistakenly used a "3" instead of a "6"? Can you make a transparent overlay of the "3" and see if it matches?

Chris

7. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

8. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I'm glad to see everyone is enjoying this coin. Thanks for all your comments.

I have placed below a photo of the obverse, with a red line showing the 'leading edge' of the lamination I discussed in the OP. It follows the grain of the planchet, and peels in the direction indicated. To me it clearly explains the minor pits and so forth around the six. After trying many angles to get the light just right with my loupe, I can see a hairline break along the base of the large protrusion (it does have thickness, however, almost as much as the 6). So it does appear to be a piece of metal not in firm contact with the field. Having said that, there are parts of the 6 that are beginning to peel off with the lamination as well. What is so puzzling is how well the protrusion connects with the 6.
    [​IMG]

I didn't make transparencies, but I did think for some time about a 3, also a 4 turned at some odd angle, but I really don't see the mechanics of it occurring, considering the time period. And it doesn't fit with a D or S mm.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I guess I did not explain it too well. Let's try this. Green is where it was at minting and the red is where it has moved to. BTW, all the lamination I see is in the immediate area of the "6".

Attached Files:

10. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Looks like nothing more than moved metal/damage to the 6 IMO.

11. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Thanks for the addtional feedback. There is some loss of metal visible on the 6, which could account for the mass present in the protrusion. Interesting how the top of the 6 with metal loss shows no shearing. I see no other good explanation. I think I can safely classify this as a lamination error.

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

agree!!

13. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It is not a lamination error. In numismatic parlance, the date took a hit. What you are seeing is the damage and the metal that was moved. It is not an error but a manifestation of the damage.

Thanks,
    Bill

14. fishaddicit

fishaddicit Senior Member

Is it just me but take a look inside the "3". It seems like it may be a DDO.

15. scottymenefee

scottymenefee Member

I have the same penny but that Mark is at top of the 6 right side

16. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Although there is what seems to be a very small
    flake of metal inside of the '6', and on the lower
    right side of it, I see a smashed '3' (lower right curve)
    which says the extension of the '6' could be damage.

I can tell you with certainty it has nothing to do with
    a wrong punched numeral.

Draft saved Draft deleted