1963-D Lincoln Cent??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PamR, Feb 2, 2023.

1. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Hi all. After reading and looking at obverse verses reverse, reverse looks at thought from the “mint” machines being the obverse no signs of abnormal images. Of course I could be incorrect, but reverse does not look like PMD. Comments appreciated! Ty!
    B29E1925-CADE-4567-9EB9-9795696FA7D4.jpeg
    D06D4C8D-47C3-48CB-9E94-30EE0F686990.jpeg
    C0EF22EC-8900-4B08-8D57-57615CB652F9.jpeg
    BACC050F-4649-45D8-988D-7985999E9BB7.jpeg
    784CC071-47A8-4466-B743-D0562B48EF76.jpeg
    24C899EB-6F0A-4321-8AA8-D8392FB9D249.jpeg
    422CF568-96F3-493E-A8EE-BF41A40EFB9E.jpeg
    DD4AAE02-2EE8-4C73-9E3F-D1C6E8878143.jpeg
    7F5E6A5B-A971-4E30-B30C-FE39EB52B45A.jpeg

Attached Files:

capthank and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think the reverse is PMD due to the displaced metal on the edge of the coin.

PamR likes this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

looks like PMD to me,
    what makes you think that it doesn't look like PMD?

PamR likes this.
  5. PamR

Well I do not think that cement could do that so neatly if that makes sense but someone could have intentionally have with laser etc and not touch the obverse. Does not make sense I know but don’t know if I do not ask. :) Neat PMD! Lol!

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Post Mint Damage,;)

PamR likes this.
  7. PamR

71357C8D-C816-426F-B6BE-2F0CE3F3AE1B.jpeg I guess I question images like this. Thank you by the way.

8. PamR

Ty!

9. Clawcoins

let me guess .. one of two things you are thinking ....
    #1 - the scrap started or stopped in that dug out section and moved across the coin. Different heights of the surfaces, all dependent upon the length of the "device" creating the scrap / imprint / damage and gap from the low surface to the higher surface.

upload_2023-2-2_10-11-27.png

or #2, you think the top of the T is imprinted in that one section ?
    upload_2023-2-2_10-12-45.png

If you think #2 .. how would that happen at the mint. And how you would you explain all the other stuff on the coin? Also the gouge is not the "exact" same size and shape ... just kinda looks like it.

Attached Files:

PamR likes this.
  10. PamR

Lol! How did you guess? No really, still learning the mint process I guess. Appreciate your time and comments. But hey being that I like Lincoln’s, looks pretty interesting if I say so myself. :D

alurid likes this.
  11. Clawcoins

Many newer collectors look at one particular section ignoring everything else around it. If a zincoln has a ton of blisters all over the surface ppl for some reason see a blister or ripped surface around the mint mark and think it must be a doubled mint mark whilst ignoring all the other indicators all around it.

If you look around, you'll see there are other gouges going the same direction as that one.
    upload_2023-2-2_10-21-26.png

of course the unknown answer is how did it get so damaged like that.
    One can speculate or even test damaging coins (which I did for a long time). But slipping or moving by the bottom of your foot a cent on a rough surface can create similar effects.

Getting the exact effect would require the exact environment, effort, surface, etc.
    And of course, it may have been multiple instances of various damaging effects to get it to that point.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    capthank and PamR like this.
  12. PamR

So may be one of a kind? Really thank you so much for your comments. Just thought it was unique compared to some other PMD which hey I guess if you look at it like that, all are different. Dang I keep trying don’t I? Lol! Thanks again!

13. Clawcoins

incidental damage usually is not exactly replicated
    even when I was hitting coins with a hammer I probably was not exactly hitting them with the exact same force, angle of the hammers head, etc thus all being slightly different when closely inspected.

Try comparing car crashes ... are they all exactly the same with the exact (to the micrometer) damage / scratches / compression?

PamR likes this.
  14. PamR

Nope you are correct! As in identical twins as well. But I’m fraternal so I know I’m different. It does make clear sense. Thank you!

Clawcoins likes this.
  15. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Of course cement can do that! Copper is a very soft metal.

PamR likes this.
  16. PamR

Yes for sure but just thought it was odd for one side. But of course if intentional by a human, yes! Ty!

17. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Only one side is down at a time so certainly possible. Also, you can tell it's pmd by the way it cuts through the rim. Anyway, there's nothing in the minting process that could make a coin look like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted