1963 D Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by ddk2881, Apr 12, 2019.

1. ddk2881

ddk2881 Active Member

Nicest 63 I have found so I will keep. Just a few questions. On the S of states is this MD, same question on left of memorial roof. Also is it damage on last pillar, normally I would just say yes but to my eyes it appears higher than the rest. Thanks. IMG_20190412_153241.jpg IMG_20190412_153229.jpg IMG_20190412_152703.jpg IMG_20190412_152721.jpg IMG_20190412_152747.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the top left corner of building, but I'm pretty sure that could be a die chip on the right hand column in your last pic.

The S appears to be MD, and there is rim damage directly above that S.

What do you think @paddyman98

4. Hookman

You know, you hear about "notching" with doubled dies. Is that notching on the top left corner of the Memorial? If so, does that mean there is doubling on the building?

5. ddk2881

ddk2881 Active Member

That's kind of what I thought but there are no details and it's flat and I just don't know. As far as die chip is that common on deepest part of die?

6. Hookman

In all honesty, I am NOT an expert.

Die chips can happen just about anywhere. They are caused by "breaks" in the die, a piece will break out of the die or a crack will form in the die, and unless the mint workers notice them, the workers will continue to use that die and continue to cause such errors on the coins.
    When a blank coin (a planchet) is struck, the metal heats up and is then forced into the dies, filling the die and forming the design. When a die break or chip exists, the hot metal is also forced into that space, forming what we see on the column on the right. We call that a die chip. If it were on the rim it would be called a cud.

Here's some links to study :lincoln-cent-bies
    Cuds on Coins

http://www.lincolncentresource.com

Study as much as you can.

7. ddk2881

ddk2881 Active Member

I study as much as I can but unfortunately my ability to retain is dwindling away.

Draft saved Draft deleted