1963-D Jefferson grade it and then I have questions to be answered.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Aug 27, 2016.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Saw this on a site and was wondering, many of us look for the reverse with "five steps", am I wrong ? So what would you grade this piece in the condition you see it in now ? Yes it has been slabbed. Wouldn't you want one with clear steps visible ? Do you want a nice clean piece ?Help me out here guys. 1963-D II.jpg 1963-D.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What makes you think that PCGS would refuse to accept the submission fee for this coin just because it didn't have 5 or 6 FS?

Chris

4. bear32211

But that is not my question . Is this a high grade Jefferson ? I would be looking for hair details, clear columns, defined windows wouldn't you ?

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not high enough to grade in my opinion. The reverse looks good, except for Monticello, which looks like the building was filled with grease. Is there something going on with the Mintmark? Hard to tell.

bear32211 likes this.
  6. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

The surface of the coin is nice the strike is weak nearly all of '60s are weak strike or stuck with old dies. While it's possible to find a '63D with FS it isn't likely and with most dates from the decade you're going to find any. Full Steps adds value to most Jeffs but isn't a prerequisite to getting a grade. On some issues it's common to have them but on other years it's almost if not impossible to find. @Lehigh96 and @gbroke are two of the most knowledgeable on here when it comes to nickels reach out to them for help with this question I assure you they know more than most.

bear32211 likes this.
  7. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

MS64 possibly MS65

bear32211 likes this.
  8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I don't see why anyone would spend the money to slab a 63-D unless it is at least a 66

bear32211 likes this.
  9. bear32211

So taking into consideration the Jefferson nickel of the 60's had weak strikes ?

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Very good luster, but the numerous planchet disturbances did not strike out, leaving one with the impression that the coin is marked up, when in fact it really isn't . . . the planchet was. One of the best reasons to buy a FS example is because the planchet disturbances are usually minimal, leaving the coin with more pleasing surfaces, as well as the expected level of design detail.

My opinion . . . MS64.

green18, MKent and bear32211 like this.
  11. bear32211

I like the Jefferson and from a distance it is a very nice piece. In reading up on them I always thought a nice quality Jefferson should have fine definition in the steps and around the columns.

12. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

A full step nickel set would be almost if not impossible. There are I believe some years that they don't exist again I'm not positive but they are so scarce it would cost fortune while in some dates there isn't much of premium because almost all have them. Don't get caught up on steps when grading they don't always improve the grade if ever. I look at FS nicks like a variety maybe that's wrong but you can have high grade coins with or without the steps.

bear32211 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  13. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Check out PCGS pop report for Jefferson Nickels you might be surprised to see that some years have more MS others have more MSFS graded. You'll also notice the '60D,'67, and '69S have none graded FS. As for your 63D your chance of finding an FS example are at best 1 in 30 and thats graded pieces, I'm sure raw examples are far less common.
    http://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail.aspx?c=84
    Here's the link.

bear32211 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

The 61-D ( for the 60s ) seems to be the big money coin, for the full stairs .. I had no ideal they brought that kind of money ................

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Another consideration is that PCGS has only 6 of these in MS66 and none higher. It's enough of a Condition Rarity for someone to consider just throwing it in and seeing what happens; looks to be 65 on a good day and who knows what luck you'll have? :)

16. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

There's no 66 in FS and only 2 in 65 with FS ...
    Dam, that's amazing ....

MKent likes this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It's a neat unintended consequence (for numismatics) of the process which enables the Mint to produce coins with mintages in the hozillions. That process makes it very, very difficult for a coin to remain in a Superb Gem state of preservation all the way to the consumer's hand. Therefore, some of the greatest Condition Rarities in numismatics are high-end coins minted in your lifetime and mine, and IMO their value increase only awaits them becoming "old" enough for contemporary collectors to consider them "valuable."

18. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I collect nickels in fact I probably hoard them. They are under appreciated by mist and few know just hard they can be to find. Even some proof coins are condition rarities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nah, I think that's just the 'bounce' of the lighting off of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted