1963 cent with upside down and maybe backwards 2 in Trust

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by FooFighter, Feb 21, 2020.

1. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Ok folks a non coin friend of mine stopped by tonight boasting that he had this 1963 Silver penny worth $3,000. I checked it out, and didn't want to bust his bubble, but I couldn't just let him go out and have anybody make a fool of him. That's MY job! Lol
    I showed him where the plating was wearing of letting copper show through. Then I looked closer. I rubbed my eyes, and looked again. I'll be damned if it didn't look like an upside down or backward 2, where the S was supposed to be in TRUST, in the motto. Do t think it could be a 5, and I don't see any scrapes or funny business anywhere around the 2.
    If it was a manipulated 2, that was put there at the mint, that would have to be in the die right? Wow this one has me bent! Lol
    I checked Wexlers, Lincoln Cent Resource, Copper Coins and I got nuttin. Hell I didn't even know what to call it when I was looking it up, so I just checked any 1963 penny....lol.
    WTH?
    Ok, have at it. Let me know if you want me to try to get any clearer pics. Don't be shy! Will check any and all suggestions. Im not drunk, I swear!
    Ok my friends. Will be on the edge of my seat, awaiting your replies.
    Thanks,,, Foo 20200220_211819.jpg
    1963 fake silver  S.jpg
    20200220_211719.jpg
    20200220_211819.jpg 1963 fake silver  S.jpg 20200220_211719.jpg
    20200220_211509.jpg

Attached Files:

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I clearly see what you're referring to. The problem is, I have no clue about an explanation, so I'll be watching this thread.

I will say, the plating doesn't help value ;)

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like an upside down 2 but it is not..
    It's definitely a distorted S probably from a worn die or a hit.
    There is no reason at all for the Mint to replace the letter S with a number 2. If that were the case many more would if been struck and found over the years especially from 1963.

Sorry if I burst your bubble :rolleyes:

And no more need for new pictures. Those are sufficient.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It just looks like it took a hit to me, the top of the T looks like it has been hit as well. The plating probably hid the scrape making it blend in.

Mike185, coinsareus10 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Remember, the die making process starts with a master hub that the is used to make master dies, which is used to make working hubs, which makes working dies. The Master hub has all of the designs, mottos, etc and lasts for years. There is no part of the process where a random letter can be replaced.

If this was a large cent from the 1790s then you could say that the letters were punched individually into dies, but not Lincoln cents

So it's PMD

Chuck_A, Heavymetal and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Why didn't he just say it looks like a "5" (five) instead of a backwards upside down 2 ?

And how did he determine it was worth $3,000 ?

lol

We know it's an "S"
    • We also know looking at your picture that the thickness of the top of the last "T" is also very thin and likely suffered the same thing as the S. The top of the
    • The first "T" also is suffering some.
    • Unfortunately the "U" won't show the same anomaly as the letters just get shorter.
    • But even the top of the "R" is thinned and truncated. It's nearly a "K".

It just so happens the "S" should be curved and becomes the most visible identifier of a die problem.
    upload_2020-2-21_6-21-21.png

So this is a case where the answer is right there. It's just convenient to ignore as the "S" is the most visually obvious problem but all the letters in TRUST are suffering the same problem.

I'd take a guess and say this was minted from one of the last made Working Dies for that year. Have you seen the cents where the IGWT looks like it's going to spill over the edge ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Stevearino and Neal like this.
  8. FooFighter

Lol yea. I was just so surprised that any collision could have that S looking like a perfect 2. Those lines are so perfect.
    Bubble? I got no bubble any more. Hehehe it's another great experience in Coin Hunting.
    Believe it or not I FINALLY found a DD AND an RPM. (I see you shaking tour head back there paddyman98) It's true baby! I'll upload pics in a new thread.
    Thanks Gentlemen

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think this defect could have been caused by the die striking the edge of the collar,
    which would cause wear and distortion on the die itself.

Heavymetal and Clawcoins like this.
  10. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

I hope you accept the explanations provided by these folks Foo. There are
    some wild PMD anomalies out there.
    Here is one for you from my "finds". WIN_20190226_16_38_24_Pro.jpg

11. paddyman98

:facepalm:........:hilarious:

FooFighter likes this.
  12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

similar to all the LIBERYY pmd finds.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Not a mint error, unfortinately

14. FooFighter

Yes, thank you Ms Lynn. Believe me, when I was here more often, I used to be the one that would try to explain to knuckleheads that they really need to rethink acting like idiots. That these fine ladies and gentlemen knew exactly what they were talking about.
    There are some of the smartest people on the web right here. It's kind of like a cross between Einstein and an Encyclopedia. Lol
    I'm just here to learn, and try to hang on and not get left in their dust!
    Have a great day Ms Lynn. And thank you for sharing your pic.
    Thanks again to all,,,,,,, Sincerely,,,,, Foo

Stevearino likes this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I will go with die deterioration damage, Jim

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Boy, there would be a serious bidding war on Etsy for this coin. LOL I'm also in the DDD and the plating covering any damage up.

17. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

You are welcome FooFighter, and a good day to you also

18. FooFighter

Yes, I finally opened my eyes and saw the PMD.

19. FooFighter

Yea, can you imagine how many people , with no scruples, would try to put some kind of spin on this just to try to sell it,and take advantage of some poor sou!?! Infuriates me.

Chuck_A likes this.
  20. KipS

KipS New Member

I have one from 1948 and it looks like an upside down backwards 2 also. Interesting stuff.

21. paddyman98

Cool. But only damage would cause that effect.

Draft saved Draft deleted