1963 $5 bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jjpe, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

Hi everyone I got this back from change at a Walmart what do you think of it I looked it up on eBay of course if it was a better shape it'd be about 15 bucks any opinions 20210914_085309_HDR.jpg 20210914_085251_HDR.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Although not found in circulation very often, there very common. Nice to have in higher grades. IMO

sel w likes this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice circulation find.

I received a 1957A $1 Silver Certificate in change several years back in similar shape. I put it on a shallow plate in warm water with 3 drops of laundry detergent. Let it sit for an hour and lightly agitated it with my finger tips before rinsing it off. Then dried it between paper towels under a book. It came out great. I only recommend this on low-value notes.

love old coins, NOS and Mountain Man like this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice find. I love finding that type of note still in circulation, even in the poor condition your note is. I'd certainly keep it and maybe try what @SteveInTampa posted.

love old coins and NOS like this.
  6. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone by the way what an iron work getting the creases out on low of course

7. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

Wonder where that bad boy has been hiding all these years?

sel w likes this.
  8. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Ironing may impart a glazed, shiny look to the paper. Better to go the Tampa way - soak and press. Or do what I do - steam and press, but be careful you don't get the steam to hot [keep the note at least 6 inches from your steam source], or you may scorch the note.

love old coins likes this.
  9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I wonder if some kid pilfered it out of their mother's purse while she was sleeping. (Oops, that's what I did, but Mom wasn't sleeping and I got spanked with a willow limb. I am grateful for my Mom and everything she did to keep me out of jail.)

love old coins likes this.
  10. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

In today's world that would have been child abuse. Some magistrate or judge would have suggested as a better alternative that she place you in Time Out, or written you a harshly worded letter, or maybe a visit with a councilor.
    I hope no permanent damage has been done to your psyche as a result of Mom's actions.

11. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

You must be under 30 years old. I am 73, and I am grateful for things my mother did to teach me to be a better person. It is a shame that better parenting is limited by government abuse by their going into homes and accusing parents of child abuse. Even in schools, teachers are limited in what they can do to students that misbehave. My wife taught in public schools for over 30 years. When she started teaching, it was an approved practice of giving licks to kids or sending them home from school. Most children chose the licks instead because they were afraid of what would happen when they got home. The last 10 years of her teaching was terrible. By the way, she taught high school English. The worse that my wife could do would be to send them to an afterschool "time out". If the children (and I use that term loosely.) were suspended, my wife had to prepare work for them to do at home. She ended up being punished for their behavior because of the amount of work she had to prepare for them and then grade them. When I was in school, if you were suspended, you got a zero for each day you were out of school. It is so bad now that schools have police in schools, but the police are afraid to do anything because of their fear of being charged for abuse.
    Child abuse? Now it is elder abuse by their children.
    Anyway, I am waaaay of topic and I apologize. Not all of us were perfect children growing up.

love old coins and john65999 like this.
  12. RD302

RD302 Member

I understand 100%.

sel w likes this.
  13. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Right on Jim...if things today were like they were when we were in school, maybe we'd have a better bunch of adults.

14. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a red seal United States Note $5 (or $2 for that matter) in circulation in maybe 50 years. We quit making them in 1971. Nice find!!!!

15. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

Cool story
    I might be out of line here but where would you sell something like this

16. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Due to its condition you wouldn't get much more than face value. I'd keep it.

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Maybe a date with the hot iron...LOL

18. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

What a coincidence I had a heavy date with an anvil last night

Draft saved Draft deleted