1963 $1 FRN radar note?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by The_Cave_Troll, Jun 9, 2005.

1. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Are there specific requirements for a note to be classified as a radar note? Basically my 1963 $1 FRN has the serial number:
    I 00428240 A
    I assume that the letters aren't required to match, but mine has an extra "0" at the front too (Or it would be 0428240). Does that extra 0 disqualify it from being a "true" radar note, do collectors of this type of thing care? Here is a picture of it. It is in perfect CU condition, so what might it be worth? I have another perfect CU condition 1963 $1 note with just a normal random looking serial number, what would that be worth?

[​IMG]

Sorry about the less than perfect photo, I am having some trouble with my picture hosting site right now.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I think the number would have to be like this:
    01233210...to make it a true radar ..

The note looks nice...

Speedy

4. a radar would be any sequence as long as it read the same font to back like the examples given. some are more desirable than others based on the numbers. if you have what speedy is talking about that would be a ladder radar. ladder of course being sequential as 12345678 or 98765432.
    unfortunately yours has one to many 0's in the front making it not a true radar. as far as value i am not sure the web sit i use for pricing does not have any listed. there are mules for this series though. what are the back plate numbers for the two that you have?

nice note,

michael

5. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Michael, What does the term mule mean? Sorry, I really don't collect notes, but I found these 2 while reorganizing my "box'o'random stuff" and I don't know what a mule is or if it is a good or bad term.

The number on the back of the pictured bill is 429 and the other one is 442 (this one is from SF, CA).

(Actually, until you asked, I wasn't even aware that bills had numbers on the reverse! I learn something new every day!)

Thanks for your help, Michael,
    chris

6. hey chris,

well i to am still learning about the wide world of currency myself. i love that we all seem to have a box-o-stuff that we can keep finding stuff in!!! :p

the term mule in currency is just like in coins, the front of one thing the back of another. like the sac dollar/quarter. only it happens a lot in currency. i find most of my info and pricing on several currency sites and i can't find out why 1963 is a mule. the only info i came up with was when the back plate number is 447 or less it is a mule. it would appear you have two of them.
    the letters before and after the serial number are called the block. the pricing i found is for blocks; aa, ha, la. these all sell for $7 each. blocks bb and gb sell for $200. all prices are for crisp uncirculated.
    anything else i can help with?

happy hunting,

michael

Draft saved Draft deleted