1962 P Franklin Halves FBL - Newbie Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stew737, Jul 25, 2020.

?

Is this FBL?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2020.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. stew737

stew737 New Member

IMG_1529.jpg S20200725_015.jpg S20200725_017.jpg S20200725_018.jpg S20200725_019.jpg Hey all, I've enjoyed reading everyone's contributions to this page. It's been very helpful to try to keep an eye out on things in my collection or that I may want to add. I wanted to ask about whether it seems likely or unlikely that this 1962 Franklin Half in my collection is FBL or not. I played with the lighting to make the images work, so it looks tarnished, but in fact it appears blast white in person.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Based on those images, I don't think it would make FBL at NGC or PCGS. ~ Chris

JCKTJK likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Unlikely in my opinion. It has a crack going through it. Ha, ha, ha. Couldn't resist, but seriously, using the TPG definitions: NGC, To qualify for NGC's Full Bell Lines (FBL) designation, all the horizontal lines on the bell must be distinct. Often, the strike can leave the lower bell lines incomplete. The rarity of the FBL designation varies across the series, though coins from San Francisco consistently have trouble qualifying.
    PCGS, When the bottom set of lines across the Liberty Bell is complete and uninterrupted, a regular-strike Mint State 60 or above Franklin Half Dollar receives the designation Full Bell Lines (FBL). If these lines are obscured by marks, strike, planchet defects, or other problems, the coin will not receive the FBL designation.
    I don't think it qualifies.

JCKTJK likes this.
  5. stew737

stew737 New Member

Thanks Chris, I was able to get a slightly better (I think) shot using my iPhone instead of the scope.

Attached Files:

6. stew737

stew737 New Member

I added an additional photo, though this after I put it in a flip. But it gives a little better view than the microscope pictures I took.

7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Good job with the additional pic.
    I am in the same camp as the previous posters. I don't see it as having FBL's either.

20200725_184236.jpg

8. stew737

stew737 New Member

I appreciate your thoughtful response. My heart may be broken a little, but tomorrow is another day. LOL

masterswimmer likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not even close. Welcome to CT.

10. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Not to worry... we'll break it tomorrow just as easily! :p

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Honestly guys, this has really strong bell lines for a 62P. FBL on P mint Franklins from the 60's are tough, as the remaster of the die in 1960 failed to re-strengthen that detail.

I am almost certain it would go FBL at PCGS. Remember, PCGS only uses the bottom set of lines. On this coin, there are some minor tickmarks across the bottom set of lines, but they are full and distinct all the way across.

It would not, however, get FBL at NGC, which requires both sets of lines to be complete.

I still wouldn't recommend submitting it because its 63 at most, and possibly damaged (that scrape on the left side of the bell near Pass and Stow looks bad), but I think the bell lines are better than y'all are making them out to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted